Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, i just installed my greddy egt gauge and thought i'd post up the wire colors for anyone who hasn't installed gauges yet and doesn't know which wires to use for power, ground, etc. keep in mind this is on a 99, they may have changed wire colors for different years, i don't know.

first of all, to get to the headlight switch, remove the entire dash outer fascia. it just pops off; it's retianed by clips. gently start pulling at one corner and work your way around.
once that's off, the headlight switch is held in by 3 screws. remove those and pull switch out.

we're looking at the large plug with about 20 wires in it.

constant 12v is the large diameter pink wire.( it may be red and mine is faded, but either red or pink, larger in diameter than any others.)

dimmer controlled illumination is the small dia. tan wire at the bottom of the plug.

ground is the medium dia. black with orange stripe wire.

my greddy gauge needed acc. power as well, which i sourced from the fuse box on the left side of the dash.

once you have the a pillar trim off, there's a nice open spot to route your wiring from the headlight switch up the pillar to your pod. also the fuse box is accessible from that hole. just drop your wire straight down the hole and it will come out right by the fuse box.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
382 Posts
How do you "tap" the wires.. do you just peel back some of the coating on the tire and solder to that?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i use the 3M wire taps. they make a good enough connection for this type of work and they're easy to install.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just ran down the street and got some self strip wire taps, how is the main 12v line I am tapping going to like being tapped 3x for 3 gauges?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the gauges barely take any current at all to run, not enough to blow the fuse unless there's something special about the ones you're usingj!

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
I tap at the radio adapter I got... It had the panel light lead right then so I jump over to my gauges from there...:w:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts