Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my headlights don't always function. I just wired up a plow harness into the mix but the light were working ok I believe. Sometimes if I hit a bump the lights will go out. Also sometimes only the high beams will work; if I flip the switch to low beam the lights won't be on. Most recently the drivers side light was dim so I thought bad ground, or blown fuse. It was neither. Turns out that the plug was loose for whatever reason. Now again the lights went out, only the ambers stay on but the high beam switch won't stay engaged nor will the low beams come on with the headlight switch. Hope this all makes sense.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Well last night it seemed to get more interesting, hit a bump lights went out. Smelled like ozone so there has to be a short somewhere, either headlamp switch or high beam/turn signal switch, or the wiring. Just wondering if this is a common problem and if so what/where was the problem? Also when I hold the high beam switch back, the lights are brighter but when it's released they dim but both times the beam indicator light on the dash remains on.

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
Both the light switch and multi-function switch (turn signal, wipers, brights) are parts that fail.
The wiring and amp ratings of the switches are marginal to begin with for just the stock lights.
If you wired in your plow lights to the same circuits it would definitely burn something up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yup just like illflem said, try going to a junkyard and picking up a headlight switch. I was coming down 287 here in Jersey and had my switch go bad at night and i had to continuously play with the switch to get them to stay on and then they would go back off in a minute. Kinda scary lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
should i look to buy both or one? If one then which, start with the headlight like trianom said? Its a Boss plow harness so the truck side hb1 plugs come off the headlights and the plow harness plugs are what provide power to the truck side headlamps. Also it seems that the pins inside the hb1 plugs are loose and by pushing on them the lamps light normally. It may be a multitude of problems I just don't want to start throwing money at switches if they're still good.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also is there any kind of solution/upgrade if the stock switches are so weak?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Headlights Service Bulletin

Dodge has a sb on headlights. Dealers must repair free of charge as it is a safety issue. When I bought my truck in feb of 10 with 300,000 miles I found a link on this forum that connected to the Chrysler website that checked vin against data base to see if sb was complied with, also one for throttle cable. the local dealer reared them free of charge. Of course they gave me suggested other repairs at cost, wich i politely declined.

I would suggest using relays to power lights. I was junkyarding last fall to repair my dash, and the dash assembly i picked up had a terribly fried and melted light switch socket. good luck, i bet your wires are melted at switch connection.:spank:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well I checked out on the Chrysler site if there were any outstanding recalls. No go on that. I appreciate the suggestion though. I guess one of the P.O.'s brought the truck in or something.

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
The headlight switch recall is only for 3500s.
You can follow the recall instructions to check the switch, it will be visibly burnt looking if bad.
The recall kit uses relays, I think Rock Auto sells the recall relay kit.

Recall> Recall 819

·
Registered
122 Posts
Try the actual headlight switch on the top left of your dash (factory switch) remove it and see if anything is melted or corroded. If the pins are a little dirty, put a little wd40 on it and clean with a wire brush or something of that sort. I had that problem last year, plus the plastic harness was kinda melted so I had another switch that came i na box of misc. items with the truck but I'm sure a junkyard would let one go for like 5 bucks. Just check to see if the switch at the junkyard is in good condition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts