Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am removing a plow wiring harness that the PO had installed and all is going well until I come to the headlights. The plow wiring harness takes the one plug from the truck harness and splits it into 2 for the dual headlights that my truck has (stock as far as I know). So when I remove the plow harnesss I am left with only one connector from the original harness. I did find a box on the passengers side hooked to the battery box that seems to take one light input and split it into 2 (pictured below). My questions are;

1. Is this box a stock part and somehow the one for the drivers side must have gotten discarded during the plow installation?

2. Should there be one of these boxes on both sides?

3. If so, where would I get one of these boxes?

BTW: with the box hooked up the passenger side headlight seems to work the way I think it should (i.e. the outside light on by itself for low beam and then both on for high beam)

Final question;

Does anyone know what this connector is for? It is on the drivers side right behind the headlight.

Thanks for any help

Jeff

·
Registered
439 Posts
1. I think you have a "brite box" there. Did I understand correctly that you have two headlight bulbs on each side, for a total of four headlight bulbs? If so is your truck a "Sport" model with color coded bumpers and grill? If it's not a Sport but does have four bulbs, these boxes are to convert the standard single bulb headlights to the premium dual bulb headlights. It's an aftermarket part.

2. Yes, there should be one for each side of the truck.

3. Try www.thebritebox.com I checked out that site, but I couldn't find the conversion box that I'm thinking you have. If you don't find it at that site, try google'ing something like "sport headlight conversion".

The spare connector is for automatic trucks with cruise. They use cruise control actuator that plugs into that connector. In fact, I just got done installing one on my truck tonight. Here's a link to read up more about it. Long story short, if you don't plan to swap your VP44 to a P-pump you won't have to bother with this at all.

Reactions: Gixxer340

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. the truck is not a sport model (pictured below) and the headlights look like this;

Truck

Thanks again
Jeff

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I think I found it (with help from Blu_By_U of course)

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=357

I wonder where the other one went as I assume the PO must have had 2 of them in the truck at one time. I will be searching high and low under the hood tomorrow as a new set of these is about $150.

Thanks again for the help
Jeff

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sharp truck! Yep, someone converted it to use the premium 4 bulb headlight system. I did the same thing to mine :) except I wired up my own relays.

Glad I could help!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Wow thats a purdy lookin truck you got there. Someone along the lines upgraded to the sport headlights which is a great thing for you as long as you can find the wiring harness for the drivers side. I am always jealous of you guys that have the sport headlights. haha I find myself checking to make sure my headlights are even on everytime I drive at night. I cant believe that these things left the factory with such absolutly terrible headlights. Its downright dangerous.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sharp truck! Yep, someone converted it to use the premium 4 bulb headlight system. I did the same thing to mine :) except I wired up my own relays.

Glad I could help!
I've done the same thing - bought used sport lights and installed them with my own relays direct of the batteries. I have a Curtis plow and everything worked well until I mounted the plow this year. When I switch from vehicle to plow lights, the high beam vehicle lights go on instead and the plow lights glow very dim. Figuring it must be a short but it's kind of confusing that low and high go on. I've tested the switch continuity and it is fine. With the plow off, everything works normally. Anyone have a clue on where I can start?
Thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
How did you wire your relays? When wiring mine up I found that Dodge actually switches the grounds to the different filaments in the bulb and leaves the hot wire unswitched.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's a good link Another Headlight Mod Question - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
Also, I remember getting some info directly from Daniel Stern lighting. The headlight switch does switch the ground, but doesn't really impact the hot side going to the headlights - just plug the switched ground lines into the relay gnd pin.

Everything worked great, just as I hoped except for a glitch because of the plow wiring. Because of the way the plow was wired, if I had the fog lights on and clicked on the high beams, all 4 filaments of the 9004 and 9007 combos would light up. Blew (literally) a couple of bulbs that way. Both filaments of the bulbs should not be on at the same time - won't last very long. Never did follow up on that, but I suspect it has to do with the plow signal lights being wired to the headlight circuit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts