Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone performed the Fix for the Headlight Condensation problem. I was going to buy a new headlight from Genos and they suggested that I look into the TSPs first to see if that will fix the problem before spending the money on new ones. Very honest people there. They are 08-025-17, 23-015-18, and 23-017-18.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Has anyone performed the Fix for the Headlight Condensation problem. I was going to buy a new headlight from Genos and they suggested that I look into the TSPs first to see if that will fix the problem before spending the money on new ones. Very honest people there. They are 08-025-17, 23-015-18, and 23-017-18.
Hoping to find out as well. I have noticed a little condensation in mine as well. Same year model as yours.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Concerning the condensation.

Wether it’s mopar or TYC, the way these lights are designed they will sometimes allow moisture to get in through the cracks around the housing. If you look closely at the design, the black plastic housing surrounds the lens. If enough glue/sealant isn’t used then you get air that creeps in (from driving of course because that’s the only time air is forced against your headlights).

No recall or tsb or anything will fix it. It’s a design flaw. All you’re doing is rolling the dice hoping your next set was assembled correctly. The only thing that will fix it is putting a bead of RTV around the housing between the housing and the lens. Filling in that small gap so no air comes through from driving.

Or

Send it to me and I’ll work my magic so that it never leaks again, guaranteed. Never.

I take a few extra steps when it comes to sealing these lights from the inside out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I was told it is a small fix that requires enlarging (drilling) the vent hole and putting in a bigger plug to allow better venting. Don't know anything about this. I don't even need to be driving, just sitting with high humidity will cause it bad. It is insane what the dealership wants for just one headlight plus labor.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
I’ll add- I’ve had zero leaks with TYC over the years. However that doesn’t mean they’re immune. They’re still designed the same. Except TYC, unlike mopar, seals em better from the assembly line.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[QUOTE I’ll add- I’ve had zero leaks with TYC over the years. However that doesn’t mean they’re immune. They’re still designed the same. Except TYC, unlike mopar, seals em better from the assembly line.

Thanks for the info, don't know much about headlights. Might just need to go ahead and replace both of mine. I'm not really sure about the TSP thing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are they just plug and play or do you need any additional wiring. I was looking at Amazon and the few reviews weren't all that good.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
My '14 developed a bunch of condensation inside the headlight on the drivers side about a year ago. I removed the headlight and dried it out with a hair dryer. After it was dry i put a bead of clear RTV around the housing where the two halfs meet. I let the rev set up good before I reinstalled it. It's been dry ever since.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
If you already have projectors yes they’re plug n play.

I know taking my word as being enough isn’t easy on the internet. . Hell im just some random person on here that could be blowing smoke.

But I honestly think, over the past 6 pairs I’ve either owned or worked on for others, that they’re the best bang for you buck. Oh and the great thing about amazon, if you don’t like em just return em. Will your nearby dealer allow returns if you don’t like them? :grin2:

Remember both mopar and TYC are going to be designed the same so they will both be susceptible to the same issues. The fix for either is easy. I’ve just never had issues with TYC plus they’re cheaper than mopar.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
My '14 developed a bunch of condensation inside the headlight on the drivers side about a year ago. I removed the headlight and dried it out with a hair dryer. After it was dry i put a bead of clear RTV around the housing where the two halfs meet. I let the rev set up good before I reinstalled it. It's been dry ever since.

What this guy said!!

Just put a blow dryer through each for half an hour and reseal them. Save you some money!!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
What this guy said!!

Just put a blow dryer through each for half an hour and reseal them. Save you some money!!
You got pics of where you are sealing them? I had both my front lights replaced under warranty. major condensation got inside them. My new set on light just lightly started to fog up this year.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
You got pics of where you are sealing them? I had both my front lights replaced under warranty. major condensation got inside them. My new set on light just lightly started to fog up this year.

Here’s one of my projects with Mopar’s 2015 BAP headlights. I had to remove the condensation first.

Then I went around the border between the housing and the lens with a bead of RTV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
I’ve since changed the way I seal them now. I don’t just put a bandaid on the outside anymore, though it works.

Now I take em apart and seal em from the inside out. Then I’ll put an additional bead around the border.

That’s the only guaranteed way, in my personal opinion, to prevent any future leaks. If a poor job is done then moisture will always find a way. Even if the seal looks perfect.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Then I went around the border between the housing and the lens with a bead of RTV
Got it thanks! You should stick some Film on those why you have them out. Keeps them from getting sand blasted as you drive down the road. They stay clear instead of light shades of yellow. I use SunTek film.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[QUOTE=Xokia; You got pics of where you are sealing them? I had both my front lights replaced under warranty. major condensation got inside them. My new set on light just lightly started to fog up this year.

I was told that the lens wasn't covered under warranty. Of course that is just the extended MaxCare warranty I guess. For the price of the Mopar headlights, they should not have condensation problems. Must be Chinese garbage.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Got it thanks! You should stick some Film on those why you have them out. Keeps them from getting sand blasted as you drive down the road. They stay clear instead of light shades of yellow. I use SunTek film.

I think it may just be the angle :grin2:

Man I miss those lights...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I was told that the lens wasn't covered under warranty. Of course that is just the extended MaxCare warranty I guess. For the price of the Mopar headlights, they should not have condensation problems. Must be Chinese garbage.
Mine fogged up badly under the original bumper to bumper warranty. They got replaced.

I think it may just be the angle :grin2:

Man I miss those lights...
Was just a suggestion. Just about all plastic lights go to crap over time. The suntek film does a good job protecting them from the elements. You can get the film pre-cut so all you have to do is apply it. There is a little bit of a learning curve but once you get it down its pretty easy to do. Just use a mixture of dawn dish soap, 95% water 5% alcohol. I used to buy mine on ebay from a suntek dealer. Doesn't look like he is selling on ebay anymore but I kept his contact info.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess at this point no one knows about the TSPs. I sent my dealership rep an email and will wait and see what they have to say about this. I will not pay the dealership over $1100.00 for just one headlight. I would just go to Amazon or someone else for other than OEM and have RPM install them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts