Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, okay so Im about to change the HG on my truck. (just waiting on my A1 headstuds to get here......) I got the HG kit, 60 lb valve springs and im gonna be doing the KDP and slapping in 4ks before shes back on the road.

What my ? is, If I rotate the engine and find TDC, remove the head change the gaskets, put the head back on, and everything else back on. Will my timing still be the same? I know I have to go through the valve lashing and stuff too. I guess what Im asking is after valve lashing, will my timing still be where its at or will it be off??

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
:agree2: Timing is set at the injection pump, as long as it's not messed with then nothing will change.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wont change the timing I just hope the top of your block isnt scarred up as bad as mine was then you'll be looking at a lot more work and money.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Timing Won't change. But if you change the thickness of the gasket, the fuel delivery to the top of the piston at a given timing will change because the height at which the tip of the injector sprays relative to the height of the piston when it sprays will change. Make sense? In other words, you may have to change your timing for it to run optimally after the headgasket is changed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks! Im just doing the HG, headstuds, 60#VS, 4ks and "home made" KDP. but I thought of another question. As I was buying the HG kit offline the 2 websites I went to was puredieselpower.com, and cumminsperformanceparts.com. Looking on pure diesel's website it said that the kit came with new style "top hat" valve seals that requires machining of the seats on the head so the new style seals can sit properly. or i could buy the old one for another $65. and cummins performance didnt say anything about that and i ordered all of my stuff from them.

Do you guys know if I have to get the machining done for the "top hat" valve seals to work or no? LMK your input thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i bought a cummins OE headgasket kit but it came with "top hat" style vavle seals. What I'm asking is can you use that style of valve seals with out having to machine anything? or to avoid machining anything for those valve seals to work do i have to by the "original" style valve seals?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
you have to machine the head to use the top hat seals. stick with the regular ones.

I have an extra set now from the rebuild kit, but with I would've just machined the pockets out while the head was at the shop. for future spring upgrades.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.