Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HG has been leaking around the thermostat housing for a little while now and I'm just getting sick of filling the overflow and smelling coolant after driving so I'm gonna bite the bullet on a HG. I'm wondering if I'm better off buying a fully assembled head from JEGS. By the time I pay to have the original head milled and the valve job is it worth just spending the $550 on a new head? Anybody gone this route/have opinions?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Mine leaked on the drivers side at the front. From what i gathered its a gasket issue and not a head warping issue. If you can afford to wait a little, pull the head, measure for flatness, and proceed as needed. This is what i did, and 3 years later no regrets.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
HG has been leaking around the thermostat housing for a little while now and I'm just getting sick of filling the overflow and smelling coolant after driving so I'm gonna bite the bullet on a HG. I'm wondering if I'm better off buying a fully assembled head from JEGS. By the time I pay to have the original head milled and the valve job is it worth just spending the $550 on a new head? Anybody gone this route/have opinions?
I got a new head and no regrets. My truck is my daily driver so I needed it fixed fast. The new one I got had the updated tophat style valve stem seals.... it was cheaper than machining my factory head since it needed a valve job.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Yeah it's not worth having a head redone. Last 12v head I had done had it resurfaced new seals guides and put 60lb valve springs on cost almost $900. I will never again do that cheaper to buy a new head full loaded.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Id rather pay an American to machine my head, yet good machinest are getting to be few and far between. ...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, new loaded head seems like the way to go.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine leaked in the same spot, but it was due to the factory head bolt shearing off right at the deck surface. I ended up getting the head machined. Haven't had any troubles since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts