Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

I'm new to diesel performance and i have a 05 cummins and i was looking into some head work. whats the best thing to do ,head studs, o-ring, stainless steel valves with stiffer springs, port and polish???

Ive seen some people port and polish just the exhuast side, why not the intake side? is the gains not as good on the intake side compared to exhuast side?

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
:welcome:

What are your goals with the truck? What have you done to it already?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a cfm carbon fiber intake, snow performance alky kit, edge attitude, spearco front mount intercooler, 2 cp3 pumps, twin turbos (the tech guy said the wastegates r set at 63 psi), the engine is pretty much stock, i need a new tranny(looking into suncoast for tranny) to but im doing the engine work first, the truck is at the shop all torn apart getting the turbos put on, so i figured id do some head work while its off because they r putting head stus on for me.

id like as muh hp as i can get without having to fully build the motor for now. so do you think doing a full port job on the head will be benificial?

·
Registered
674 Posts
you can get to 700hp with out porting the head, i would do cam and valve springs to go along with headstuds. porting the intake side is very involved

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
i have a cfm carbon fiber intake, snow performance alky kit, edge attitude, spearco front mount intercooler, 2 cp3 pumps, twin turbos (the tech guy said the wastegates r set at 63 psi), the engine is pretty much stock, i need a new tranny(looking into suncoast for tranny) to but im doing the engine work first, the truck is at the shop all torn apart getting the turbos put on, so i figured id do some head work while its off because they r putting head stus on for me.

id like as muh hp as i can get without having to fully build the motor for now. so do you think doing a full port job on the head will be benificial?
i also forgot to put upgraded dp and exhuast
Wow you sure got a lot going on. You really should get that transmission taken care of to get the most out of your mods. ATS, HTS, DTT, Goerend, Suncoast all make good products.

Studs are a good idea. Also you should think of some form of aftermarket lift pump if you don't already have it. Do you have bigger injectors yet? If not with the dual cp3s you can support 120+ horse injectors no problem.

With diesels since fuel is the governing factor you want to address those mods first and then move on to head work and stuff like that. :thumbsup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you all for your replies. yes i have bigger injectors i will look into the lift pump. any ideas where i should look a purchasing one and cam(how big of a cam should i go with).

where do all you guys go to buy your parts from? im at local place but i think this guy is a bit pricey so id like to know where you guys shop :-D and again thanks for all your time in replying my messages.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
thank you all for your replies. yes i have bigger injectors i will look into the lift pump. any ideas where i should look a purchasing one and cam(how big of a cam should i go with).

where do all you guys go to buy your parts from? im at local place but i think this guy is a bit pricey so id like to know where you guys shop :-D and again thanks for all your time in replying my messages.
Well for the level you are at you should look into a lift pump that runs at 150gph and a higher pressure. Airdog, Fass etc etc all make a good pump

throw a post here if you want to shop around:

Request A Price Quote - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts