Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a head to head compairison of the different modules / programmers for the 3rd gen motor? I have looked through many posts and have found a lot of good info but would like to see if these things really do what they claim and if one achives better mileage, diveabillity, performance and is trouble free. I have even looked on the Diesel Power and Diesel World magazine website and have not seen any such compairison. Another thing I'm not sure about is if I were to start with say a Smarty Jr. that may add 1 - 1.5 mpg; then down the road if I were to stack an Edge EZ or X2would that add additional mpg? Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.:hyper:

·
Banned
516 Posts
go with a smarty SR nothing can beat it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
go with a smarty SR nothing can beat it!
I was trying to stay under the $500.00 mark, but may have to take acloser look. Did you see any MPG increase, and if so how much? Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Didn't test enough to say for sure but I don't think I gained any MPG with the Jr. I got my senior in the mail today and love the adjustability. Save your money and get the Smarty.

I was very happy with the Jr, I just like to tinker with everything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't test enough to say for sure but I don't think I gained any MPG with the Jr. I got my senior in the mail today and love the adjustability. Save your money and get the Smarty.

I was very happy with the Jr, I just like to tinker with everything.
JB3231, thanks for the info. At near $5.00 Illlinois fuel prices MPG is becoming key even though I would love more HP. I would be curious to if you notice better fuel ecconomy with the Sr. Also since I'm new to this stuff how is the stock code reloaded? Do you load the stock code into the Smarty or does it come with stock code loaded? Thanks for your time.

·
Banned
516 Posts
i seen a gain of 1-2 depending on driving. babied one tank and seen about 2.5 but on average it is 1-2 mpg better!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I gained about 2mpg running my Smarty on SW#3.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I'am runnin the TNT on 9 (230hp) and not being very nice to my truck :peelout I got 19 mpg's out of my last tank, thats with a mix of town/hwy, I love this thing :woot: I tried a Bully Dog triple dog with crazy larry before my edge, it was a joke, my truck didn't like bd tunning at all, turbo surge, not that much power, crazy larry couldn't even slip my stock clutch :w: all it did was smoke :thud: I also vote to get the CR smarty not JR, with the new tunes out it so sweet and no need for stacking anymore.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information gentlemen, I appreciate your time and thoughts. It seems as though the Smarty Sr is the prefered choice, it sounds like it may be worth the extra:$:. I'd certainly like to get above 15 MPG around town, and that's with a light foot. How is the Smarty for towing? I've also heard from other posts of people complaining of excess smoke, any thoughts on that issue?:beer

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information gentlemen, I appreciate your time and thoughts. It seems as though the Smarty Sr is the prefered choice, it sounds like it may be worth the extra. I'd certainly like to get above 15 MPG around town, and that's with a light foot. How is the Smarty for towing? I've also heard from other posts of people complaining of excess smoke, any thoughts on that issue?

·
Banned
516 Posts
it only smokes when you stomp on it! and for towing...its great pulls good and doesn't get hot or anything!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Garrett, I can handle the smoke with the heavy right foot, at times it's even appropriate!!
That's good to know that it keeps the temps reasonable since I tow a race trailer from time to time. It's good to get a response from someone with the same year truck and get a real worls assesment. I have seen quite a few pros, any cons? Thanks for you thoughts.

·
Banned
516 Posts
ya i dont think anything can beat the smarty. i have tried edge and bully dog and they just dont seem to have power like the smarty and they get hot. me and my dad have a construction company so i haul alot of stuff and i need it to be reliable. had the smarty for a couple years and no problems just better mpg and raw power!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
There's an old chart floating around somewhere stating the modules for 3rd gens and comparing what they each do. It was outdated past 04 I think so its about worthless.

Its a good idea anyway, someone needs to do a new one.

The only 2 products that netted better mileage on my 05 cummins for UNDER $500 was a Quadzilla XZT and Bullydog Crazy Larry. Yes, Crazy Larry was purchased for $300. On Crazy Larry, my truck would net the best mileage. I had Crazy Larry and an XZT stacked...saw 21mpg once, the only time i was nice to my truck when running those 2 products :peelout

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya i dont think anything can beat the smarty. i have tried edge and bully dog and they just dont seem to have power like the smarty and they get hot. me and my dad have a construction company so i haul alot of stuff and i need it to be reliable. had the smarty for a couple years and no problems just better mpg and raw power!
Garrett, I,ve been looking at the MADS / Smarty site, this thing looks pretty cool. I like the fact that it leaves the stock code alone, and is untraceable by the dealer once it's returned back to stock.:woot: It sounds like it's fairly simple to use. From the website it looks like their main focus is on the Dodge Cummins so that speaks volumes!!! I was hoping to stay under the $500.00 mark :$: but from what I'm hearing it may be worth the extra :$: in the long run. The main focus is MPG but reliabillity is most important too! I was about to pull the trigger on the Edge box, but then I found the site (which my wife says is like crack:lol3:) which has a ton of good information, not to mention hearing results from the folks who use it, not the factory reps or paid advertisements. Thanks agian for the help!:beer

·
Banned
516 Posts
smarty is good all around, and the people working on it to make it better and better...theres no way to beat it! if you MPG then you can definately get it...i just cant stand to baby my truck i gotta run it but i still see a 1-2 mpg increase! and returning to stock when you break something....is REALLY nice!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'am runnin the TNT on 9 (230hp) and not being very nice to my truck :peelout I got 19 mpg's out of my last tank, thats with a mix of town/hwy, I love this thing :woot: I tried a Bully Dog triple dog with crazy larry before my edge, it was a joke, my truck didn't like bd tunning at all, turbo surge, not that much power, crazy larry couldn't even slip my stock clutch :w: all it did was smoke :thud: I also vote to get the CR smarty not JR, with the new tunes out it so sweet and no need for stacking anymore.
Hey mzcummins,
Good information, thanks. What is the difference between the TNT and the Revo, is the TNT geared for more modified / racing? Any other Smarty S-06 info would be appreciated. So I've also heard people complain about that additional smoke with the Jr, does the S-06 do the same or do the tunes take care of that issue? Thanks again for your thoughts and time!! :beer

·
Banned
516 Posts
tnt is more agressive and the power starts at 100HP. i tried the revo and didn't really like it, thought it felt slower than the last version. i downloaded the tnt and just keep it on 1 or 3! like i said before if you step on it...its gonna smoke. its not like it blows black smoke the whole time its running!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Hey mzcummins,
Good information, thanks. What is the difference between the TNT and the Revo, is the TNT geared for more modified / racing? Any other Smarty S-06 info would be appreciated. So I've also heard people complain about that additional smoke with the Jr, does the S-06 do the same or do the tunes take care of that issue? Thanks again for your thoughts and time!! :beer
tnt is more agressive and the power starts at 100HP. i tried the revo and didn't really like it, thought it felt slower than the last version. i downloaded the tnt and just keep it on 1 or 3! like i said before if you step on it...its gonna smoke. its not like it blows black smoke the whole time its running!
What he said, I will also add that the REVO is 170hp max and the TNT is 230hp max and the TNT is more for performance but turned down can be great for a daily driver, I can control the smoke but it does puff a little, I get a little less smoke with more rail pressure, and I agree with Garrett, I was not happy at all with the REVO, felt underpowered and laggy at times.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts