Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Head Studs. What needs to be done?

1116 Views 17 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  bsmith
Ok its time for my baby to get some studs. Ive been kinda looking at a few articles and what needs to be done. Can someone explain or help me understand what it means when you have to "Bottom tap the block" and how to mill and if you need to mill the "Rocker Pedastal". Also if im goin to put studs in should i go ahead and have it o-ringed? Do I need to pull the head to put studs in? I guess i kinda need a run down on what to do with diff. studs. Are ARP studs a good choice and which ones should a guy get? Thanks for helping me out:thumbsup:
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,136 Posts
bottom tap the block with a tap you get from Grainger or another industrial supplier. Make sure it is a bottom tap not a tapered tap. It's basically cleaning out the threads in the block. Milling the pedestals can be done with just about anything. Dremel, die grinder, ect. just take a small about of material off until it clears. I would O-ring it since it's out. I ran mine without O-rings the whole time and it held fine but it's cheap insurance imho. ARP:hehe::hehe::badidea:
They're a joke in my opinion so look to someone else.

· Registered
1,759 Posts
bottom tap the block with a tap you get from Grainger or another industrial supplier. Make sure it is a bottom tap not a tapered tap. It's basically cleaning out the threads in the block. Milling the pedestals can be done with just about anything. Dremel, die grinder, ect. just take a small about of material off until it clears. I would O-ring it since it's out. I ran mine without O-rings the whole time and it held fine but it's cheap insurance imho. ARP:hehe::hehe::badidea:
They're a joke in my opinion so look to someone else.
who would you recommend for studs....also what psi will the studs hold with the stock gasket...

· Premium Member
19,660 Posts
ARP - Yes, Quality Product. The 625's are more costly, but have additional clamping power.
O-Ring - IMO Yes
Pull the Head - Only if O-Ringing or Replacing the Head Gasket. Studs alone, No
Bottom Tap - Cleaning out the existing threads. I prefer to do this.

· Registered
85 Posts
I have studs with a stock gasket, i always warm the truck up completely before i bring it to max boost. So far so good i hit about 50psi max.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Ok guys who can i send my head to the get oringed? Any good shops that you recommend? Also give a $ballpark of what it will cost. Thanks
Where are you located?

The oringing is about 400. It can go up quite a bit it other stuff needs to be fixed.

So I'd expect 600-800 if I did it myself. 1000+ if a shop did the work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.