Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a friend saying if we put 100hp injectors in his truck he will have to have studs, what do y'all think?

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
You should be fine without them.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Only if you see 40+ pounds of boost.

Reactions: Clay T

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Cylinder pressure is what kills the gasket, which is a combination of static compression, boost, fuel & timing.

Ed

·
Canadian Diesel Junkie
1,274 Posts
^^ Ed is correct. Boost is a measure of restriction, you could have less boost, but a lot more air being stuffed into the cylinder, that's what porting and polishing does, among other mods that increase air flow. On the flip side, if you have a lot of air restriction, you could be pushing 80 lbs boost and getting less air in the engine than a different setup pushing 50 lbs boost, This is just for arguements sake. The cam grind also has an effect on cylinder pressures, and of course fuel injected. Etc....

I was running up to 45 on stock head bolts, unmolested. I have head studs now just for peace of mind, but I am willing to bet the stock head bolts and factory head gasket seal would still hold what I have in my sig. My turbo will hit 52lbs before the waste gate opens properly where it then sits at 47-48. Something I need to look into.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I hit that on a stock turbo!....... :hehe: :rof

·
Canadian Diesel Junkie
1,274 Posts
Lol, that doesn't sound very efficient!!! Poor Holset!!!

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I'm screwing with you, i hadn't gone over 30 on a stock turbo, which was 7 years ago. I had compounds on when I hit 72psi.

·
Canadian Diesel Junkie
1,274 Posts
I know I could hit mid 40's with the HX, didn't work worth , but was funny seeing the boost gauge up there!!

I have an HX sitting under the bench that's a prime example of what can happen with it's driven too fast, too hot, for too long, it's basically a chewed up housing, the rest of it ended up in different parts of the intake system, and some of it on the highway, lol.

It's for sale BTW, make me an offer!!! Haha.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.