Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have good instructions or know where to get good instructions for the removal of the head? I need to check my pistons. Sucked some metal into the engine. :thud::thud::thud::thud::thud:

I've already pulled off the cover and the gasket. I'm down to the rocker arms and am a little hesitant. I've never done one before.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I can pm you with my number to help you verbally if you need it that is a LOT of typing. Robert

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
bump-i don't know how either and i will need to know when i do my studs and o-rings. but what did you suck into your motor?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, you nailed it. It kills me to think a dumb mistake like overtightening that stud is going to cost me HUGE.

Robert you are the man! Thanks for the offer. I'm kinda goin at this blind. I don't really know what all the parts are called and I've never done one before. Oh well, it should be fun!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yep, you nailed it. It kills me to think a dumb mistake like overtightening that stud is going to cost me HUGE.

Robert you are the man! Thanks for the offer. I'm kinda goin at this blind. I don't really know what all the parts are called and I've never done one before. Oh well, it should be fun!
if the piston is shot the the block has to come out. I got a quote locally to pull and,tear down,and reinstall the motor was around 1300. I did all the work myself and could have done it all stock for under 500.00 but upgraded the pistons,cam,and springs and there is a lot of torque specs to watch for. if you are not confident with your mechanicial skills I say it would be best to find a local shop but that is your call

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I was kinda expecting a lot more. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has done this because now I can get some good sound advice. I thought I would do some upgrades while it was all tore down too. What should I do? I for sure was going to get studs but I don't know what else to do???

·
Former Staff Member
3,482 Posts
Here's the relevant section of the factory manual for a 2004, 'most' of it should be the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
if its anthing like an N-14 or an M-11 or any of those bigger cummins engines, the layout is fairly simple, i did an inframe on an N-14 and they are pretty simple to take apart, just make sure you've got a book and keep everything you take out organized and you'll be fine, i've done a couple of the 12 valve 5.9's for my buddies and they have had no complaints about my overhaling skills so far (both of the trucks still run) :lol3:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts