Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was drivin earlier today and I had installed a mack plug last night and i wanted to see what it would do. It hit about 52lbs of boost, so when i got back i looked under the hood and there was some anti-freeze on the side of the block below the #6 injector. I was wondering of you guys had any sugestions of what i should do for head work and how much boost you think it would handel in it's condition.

· Cummins CrAzY
1,396 Posts
Hey if you need help let me know and I can give you a hand, Ive been down that road already! But I say fire ring the head all the way!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well here's the thing. Its going to be a month before ill have anywhere near the amount of money ill need. I planned on fire-ringing it and a set of A1 studs from scheids. For that and a gasket its almost a grand:doh: But im sure i could use a hand when the time comes.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
im surprised that you dont have any oil water mixing. I blew the head gasket on my frist gen at 60lbs and it pretty much coated everything under the hood and dang near pumped all my oil into my radiator. honestly i wouldnt drive it much till you get it fixed. id say if you dont need your truck for a month, then id just wait til you get the studs and the head work done. if not id fix the gasket now, then drop studs down when you get them. and worry bout head work if and when you take out the gasket again.

· Cummins CrAzY
1,396 Posts
I would say closer to $1300. Give me a call I can give you a little advice to maybe save yourself a few bucks. 765-749-8946 my name is Mark.

· Pursuing the Great Commission
12,714 Posts
are the 12V headgaskets prone to going? I know there were a couple of people with 24Vs that blew this year, but wasn't sure on the 12Vs. I just had a friend call me this morning and his 12V started leaking coolant back by the #6 cyl too.

:confused013:

· Premium Member
757 Posts
Yeah I was one of them. They are all prone when you run too much boost. Mine let go at 45PSI and puked oil everywhere. :lol4:

· Cummins CrAzY
1,396 Posts
I think everyone is seeing more and more headgaskets let go as everyone turns up the power without adressing certain issues first. I am guilty of it, I should of at least retorqued the stock head bolts but thought it will never happen to me. Luck only last so long.

· Registered
136 Posts
yeah i was one of them too ... tearing it down tomorrow... head resurfaced, valve seals, headgasket and studs ... if the head is not cracked... im gonna have about $1000 in mine...

· Cummins CrAzY
1,396 Posts
if guys jinx me im throwing someone a beating lol. seems like a lot indiana head gaskets leting go
Well if you pound on it like a $20 hooker its gonna happen sooner or later!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats my problem... Its got 250000 miles and the head has never been off of it. I did in fact beat on it like a red-headed step child and it finally caught up with me.:doh:

· Registered
157 Posts
hey mine finally let go too. i cant decide what i want to do either.

· Registered
2,106 Posts
Thats my problem... Its got 250000 miles and the head has never been off of it. I did in fact beat on it like a red-headed step child and it finally caught up with me.:doh:

250000 with drive pressure through the roof is not too shabby.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ha i know, im sure the drive pressure was outragous, the charger is also showing signs of being abused daily.

· Registered
76 Posts
only signs of being abused i think that it is getting ready to let go also

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Yeah I was one of them. They are all prone when you run too much boost. Mine let go at 45PSI and puked oil everywhere. :lol4:
Likewise-mine just took off two weeks ago.

· Registered
76 Posts
idk when you want to do it i am ready i am adjusting valves and retorquing my head tomorrow

· Registered
157 Posts
oh nice. i need to start tearin it apart soon

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.