Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be torqueing my head bolts today when i get off of work to 125lbs. I have a few questions. First what size is the head on the bolts and second should i do it with the engine cold or hot?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump....come on someone has to know what size the head is on the bolts and whether or not it should be done with the engine warm or cold.

K

·
0 Posts
when retorqued i think doing it warm is better for size get some sockets or wrenchs and go out and check the size theres headbolts along the left side of the valvecover dont know the size off the top of my head

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when retorqued i think doing it warm is better for size get some sockets or wrenchs and go out and check the size theres headbolts along the left side of the valvecover dont know the size off the top of my head
thanks man, i appreciate it. they were metric though right. and what temp do you think is warm. like between 100-120?

·
Registered
555 Posts
warm it up to operating temp be careful start torque at 110 then go up from there tell you can not torque any more be careful not to stretch when it cools off it will be tighter then what it torqued too they are 18mm stock bolts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
warm it up to operating temp be careful start torque at 110 then go up from there tell you can not torque any more be careful not to stretch when it cools off it will be tighter then what it torqued too they are 18mm stock bolts
what are they torqued at stock? i will be going to 125ft/lb? do you think that is safe to go to. and in how big of incraments?

K

·
0 Posts
yes operating temp as stated and go in 5lb increments i would start at 90 and go up some even put it back together warm it back up after every 5lb up you go
here the torque sequence if you dont have it

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes operating temp as stated and go in 5lb increments i would start at 90 and go up some even put it back together warm it back up after every 5lb up you go
here the torque sequence if you dont have it
Thanks guys, i do have the torque suquence. I am getting off work in 45 minutes and i will go home and do this. I want to have it all snugged down before i get my water meth this week. :party018:

K

·
0 Posts
water meth shouldnt cause a head gasket to go. alot of the time its not even boost that cause the head gasket to go its extreme drive pressure even with studs and orings you can easily blow a head gasket from to much drive pressure

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
water meth shouldnt cause a head gasket to go. alot of the time its not even boost that cause the head gasket to go its extreme drive pressure even with studs and orings you can easily blow a head gasket from to much drive pressure
I didnt think it would affect it but i wanted to get it done before i do the water meth this week.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i did mine cold. broke em all loose one by one lubed with lots of oil, torqued to 90 then in 5ftlb increments to 120-125ftlbs.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i did mine cold. broke em all loose one by one lubed with lots of oil, torqued to 90 then in 5ftlb increments to 120-125ftlbs.
i was lookin at it and it looks like i am going to have to remove the rocker arms. is this true.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i was lookin at it and it looks like i am going to have to remove the rocker arms. is this true.
Yep, not a big deal. Just put em in the valve cover.

Also ur suppose to set the valve lash afterwards.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how long did it take you to do.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
how long did it take you to do.
Depends how fast u work, I'm slow and cautious.

Prolly 4-6 hrs give or take a hour. I started in the dfternoon and finished the next morning.

Its 7 torques if you go from 90 to 120.

Its a workout.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
are you running the twins with the stock bolts at 125. and how much boost are you running.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
are you running the twins with the stock bolts at 125. and how much boost are you running.

Yes sir, 55-60psi.

I always let my truck come up to 190 degrees before beating on it.

I know of a CR with 750+hp on stock headbolts.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
do you have a 1:1 drive pressure boost ratio? or very close to?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
do you have a 1:1 drive pressure boost ratio? or very close to?
Yes 1:1 till about 45 or so. at 55psi dp is 60psi.

I accredit this to my low drive preesure wheel(71mm)

·
Registered
456 Posts
um.... whats drive pressure?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts