Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Salty Squid
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult would it be to slap a HE451VE on a 2010 and are there any "extra parts" you would need?

How much better, if any would it perform than the smaller stocker? Would the E/B still work without modification?

Thanks

·
Salty Squid
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone have any inputs?

Really just want to know if the truck would tow better with the 451 than the stocker. Also how big of injectors could you run with the 451?

·
Smells like Bananas
7,247 Posts
Fleece Performance, Call them as they have the answers

·
Salty Squid
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How about just throwing a stock 451 on the 6.7? Or do you have to get the one's modified by fleece to work?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
You will need to figure out the mounting and plumbing, but the ECM won't know the difference and your EB will work as advertised.

I would reccommend a set of 50hp nozzles to help spool it, but electronically its plug and play.

·
Salty Squid
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I take it the 451 has a different downpipe than the 351?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
That I don't recall.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It is not plug and play. You have to have an adaptor to help control. Fleece can hook you up. Also you need to have a 2nd gen manifold that the bolt holes on the flange will need to be modified. Also you will need a HX-40 downpipe. There are a couple threads on it on here.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
According to some info from Fleece it is plug and play, just needs fuel to spin it. If you don't have the fuel you need to do some electrical mods from what I gather.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The stock ECM Calibrations for the 351 will operate the 451, but the calibrations are for a substantially smaller turbo, if your talking about the 64mm 451. Fuel will definately help it, but I doubt the charger will run at full potential without changing the calibrations. With the right tuning and a little fuel you can make a 451 light just as quick as a tuned 351....

·
Salty Squid
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would tuning from H&S or EFI Live (Someday hopefully) work, or would you need to get the actual newly tuned "brain" from fleese?

The 6.7 is supposed to be able to spool up a 66 with no issues, so I don't understand why it would be that different with the 451.

·
Registered
388 Posts
EFI may... The truck will spool the charger, but the ECM will still think it has a 351, so the vane position and mapping will be off. It may be laggy or unresponsive, or it may only make a bunch of heat on the top side....

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
EFI may... The truck will spool the charger, but the ECM will still think it has a 351, so the vane position and mapping will be off. It may be laggy or unresponsive, or it may only make a bunch of heat on the top side....
The ECM won't care and the way Holset designed the series all will operate as normal, its larger but in scale. You could essentially put a set of 50's on a stock truck and HE451 and work just fine, more power and more air. It would probably take a boost fooler to keep it fully cool. But the electronics on a 451 are the same, the speed sensor is the same, its just a larger turbo. So with tuning like H&S, Smarty, EFI, etc it would be fine and with H&S aggressive turbo tune it would probably spool crazy fast.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
The ECM won't care and the way Holset designed the series all will operate as normal, its larger but in scale. You could essentially put a set of 50's on a stock truck and HE451 and work just fine, more power and more air. It would probably take a boost fooler to keep it fully cool. But the electronics on a 451 are the same, the speed sensor is the same, its just a larger turbo. So with tuning like H&S, Smarty, EFI, etc it would be fine and with H&S aggressive turbo tune it would probably spool crazy fast.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Have you personally done this before or are you ASSuming?

Would hate to see you pass along bad information... there's already enough of that on this site... lol

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I haven't personally done it, but know a very reputable guy who is in the process of doing it, and he has verified all the info with Fleece.

Fleece seems to be at the front of the VNT tuning and knowledge on the Cummins, call and verify with them. They are also a good source for the HE451.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Carpenca=Fleece. He mentioned that he's Brayden from the other thread.

I haven't personally done it, but know a very reputable guy who is in the process of doing it, and he has verified all the info with Fleece.

Fleece seems to be at the front of the VNT tuning and knowledge on the Cummins, call and verify with them. They are also a good source for the HE451.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Carpenca=Fleece. He mentioned that he's Brayden from the other thread.
Quite interesting. The info in this thread is quite different that what I have understood as info from Fleece.

The info I was told was over a month ago, Its possible testing has shown that it takes more??

Now I'm curious. Will any tuner make it work, or will it take their boost controller?

·
Registered
388 Posts
No Brayden sat down and typed while I was logged in...

Yes its possible, yes the charger will operate off the stock 6.7 ECM. Yes we can make the charger reach its full potential if we are able to customize the maps with our controller....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts