Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in the process of adding a 351 to our 93 when I decided I wanted to add an exhaust brake for towing. I know the inline EB work great but I came across a killer deal on a 3rd gen direct mount PacBrake. My 351 is off a 2006 so I thought the EB would bolt right up. Not!! I forgot that the 351 is mounted in a slightly different rotation on 1st gen with a downward manifold flange compared to the upward 3rd gen and this was enough to get in the way as you can see in the first pic. The air cylinder mounting bracket contacts the turbo before the EB flange mated up the the turbo exhaust flange.

So the first thing I did was to disassemble the EB to make it lighter and easier to use for mock up.

I then took some time and new I could just slice the bracket and bend the actuator lever and be done but that seemed a bit crude so I ended up reinventing the wheel instead.
I started off by giving the bracket a slight kick out then back in at the outer mounting lug.

Then I had to change the cylinder end and the EB lever to make things work smoothly.

I had to shorten the ball joint up a out a 1/2" so I took it to the band saw. With out doing this it made the whole assembly too long and this kept the EB from going fully back to the neutral position. The I drilled out the lever to accept the 7/16" bolt that went with the ball end and decided to weld the bolt in place to keep things nice and solid.

Doing it this way moved the cylinder mount out farther away from the EB lever as in the stock set up it used a clevis that was centered on the lever. Now it is offset and better aligns with the bracket adjustment that was made and the ball joint end takes up any misalignment.

Here it is all bolted up ready for install as soon as my BD SS manifold shows up Wednesday.

Here is the bottom shot showing the stock waste gate hooked up and the EB mounted with the oil drain right in the middle. Just like it was meant to be done this way.

Although the end of the cylinder is not clipped in you can now see the clearance to the turbo.

I will update this once I have the compressor and electrical hooked up and working.

Kevin
xxx

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
nice setup. you being the fabricator aficionado that you are, i'm surprised you didn't tackle the he351vgt instead

·
Registered
391 Posts
Man, that is just awesome! I have an EB on my last three trucks and loved them. Now I know I can get one for my '93. Have you worked out the wiring and activation for the EB?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice setup. you being the fabricator aficionado that you are, i'm surprised you didn't tackle the he351vgt instead
This will give me what I need (for now) and it is what I had around for very little money this far.

Man, that is just awesome! I have an EB on my last three trucks and loved them. Now I know I can get one for my '93. Have you worked out the wiring and activation for the EB?
Yes we have it worked out for the 5spd just sourcing the solenoid and then we will figure it out once the 47RH is built and installed but my parts guy has it figured out in his head already for the OD and lock up.

Working on the aluminum air horn in 3" today. Stay tuned!

Kevin
xxx

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got my new BD manifold on today and then mated up the new PacBrake, 351 turbo and other misc. things on tonight. I also got my air tank, compressor and psi switch out and ready to figure out where to mount it and start the wiring and plumbing.

Kevin
xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.