Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 5 speed with a 913 pump, o-ring head with arps, schied street cam, full cut dvs, stock 215 injectors, 16.5* timing, he351cw, 4inch dp to 5 inch exhaust, bhaf, and #10 plate that's removed.

Now I usually build my vehicles to a fun dd street toy but this one for some reason is gonna be different. I'm looking at adding a s475 under the he351 and going with a set of 5x18s. After reading into the 7 hole injectors should I go with 7x14s or bigger and cut fuel back. I'm pretty sure this will easily put me at happy and towable 650-700hp. Any ideas if I'm dead on or what you guys would change? Also should I pick up a fass or airdog setup to keep my pump happy?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I have 4kgsk and 60lbs valve springs

·
Registered
390 Posts
Your going to want a 62mm turbo rather than the he351 as your top charger. The 351 is going to limit you to around 600hp and you'll have more fuel than you'll need with the 5x.018's. I'd go with a good set of 5x.016's and run a 62mm over the s475. Just my $.02.

-French

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's actually the same setup a guy on here (mohlercr2500?) Broke 700hp without his nitrous. I ported my manifold along with the wastegate opening as much as possible. I figure I'm running less fuel then him with my fuel plate in.

Thanks for the input. I want to get as much input as possible.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have hit 705 (fuel only) with my set up 351 over s475 it a great setup it spools fast and drives well but i think i have hit the limit with it because it gets warm on the top end.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking of a water meth setup but not for a month or two. If I can hit a somewhat cool 1200-1300 degree 600-650hp I'd be more then happy.

Also doesn't that tq number seem kind of off? Was that corrected? Do you have any port and polish work?

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't my schied cam help egts also? I figured my current setup is a pretty cheap set of twins so I can go bigger later but I still tow a good bit

·
Registered
67 Posts
i thought the tq number was a little low too. as for the head no pp. The pyro has hit 1600-1700 a few times water seams to help with that now. im getting rid of this set going wit a 64 over an s480

·
Premium Member
8,036 Posts
i thought the tq number was a little low too. as for the head no pp. The pyro has hit 1600-1700 a few times water seams to help with that now. im getting rid of this set going wit a 64 over an s480
I got a set-up for ya! go BIG or go home! we'll see how good those fire rings hold! I've seen 95psi!:shock::thumbsup:

You guys should try porting the 351 gate and/or adding an Egate to send more of the drive to the 475.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the 351 gate drilled to 1" i thought about an egate but i think the comp housing is a little tight to get good flow

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ported my gate also to about 1.25 straight through. Right now I can't get my egts over 950-1000 degrees unless I bog the hell out of it.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
When you say warm, how hot are you talking?
Unless you're towing and can peg a 2000* pyro in about 2 seconds, I wouldnt worry about EGT's.

I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking of a water meth setup but not for a month or two. If I can hit a somewhat cool 1200-1300 degree 600-650hp I'd be more then happy.

Also doesn't that tq number seem kind of off? Was that corrected? Do you have any port and polish work?

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't my schied cam help egts also? I figured my current setup is a pretty cheap set of twins so I can go bigger later but I still tow a good bit
Again, are you towing? The is no reason to shoot for that low of an EGT. This things can take 2000* temps in short burst no problem, its the towing up a 5mile 7% stretch at 1400* which will melt them.

Ask a lot of sled pullers or drag racers what there EGT's are at the end of the track, I bet a lot couldnt tell you b/c the gauges a pegged.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
macknos94, the first thing I'd be thinking about (if my concern was EGT's) would be some better-suited DV's... like DDP's 024's (bigger than Bosch 024's) which are great DV's.
Along with 5x16's or 7x12's, that'd be PLENTY of fuel for either a 351 or 62mm based compounds setup.

Also, your goal of putting out 600-650HP with EGT's no higher than 1300º is unrealistic. You will be seeing 1500º on a 650HP dyno run (on that combo) or by the end a WOT 1/4 mile no problem.

There's no reason to shoot for a specific EGT range. Just pick a combo that works well and use it. There will be times the EGT's are high, but like Brandon said, as long as you're not sustaining those temps for minutes, it's OK.

They say the fun doesn't begin until 1600º and it's pretty much fact.

·
Premium Member
8,036 Posts
Dont try to tell me reasonable EGTs cant be done.
I barely got over 1300* locked in OD @ WOT w/75psi boost. @ 85psi the temps started dropping but I dont like running that much psi.
WOP and Bullseye make the same claims with their triples.
I do agree that PEAK EGTs are not a major issue, but its nice to not have to even look @ the gauge, even with the pump full tilt. :)
The only issue I have had with sustaining that much power is the cooling system isnt happy and just cant keep up on long pulls in the mountains while towing 12k. $.02

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Dont try to tell me reasonable EGTs cant be done.
I barely got over 1300* locked in OD @ WOT w/75psi boost. @ 85psi the temps started dropping but I dont like running that much psi.
WOP and Bullseye make the same claims with their triples.
Apples to oranges. All I was saying is that to push a small set of twins (HE351 & S475) to 650HP isn't going to happen without going over 1300º.

Most people can't do triples.. so as uncommon (unchartered territory) as triples are, it's not exactly a good yardstick to make comparisons up against.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know I really don't need 650 to tow what I tow( 16000lbs max) as I do it right now. So you guys think this setup would he fine to hit 650hp
Bd intercooler (Craigslist for 450)
191dv (picked them up for $50 on Craigslist)
7x12s
He351/s475
Possibly thrown into the mix very soon
Water/meth

·
Registered
177 Posts
i'm wondering if this is capable of making 650 on my p-pumped 24v...or if i have to go spend 1500 more on a 62mm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts