Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been running my HE 351 on my truck for years, the spool and towing was better than with the HX35. The only mods I did to it before installing was to smooth out some rough casting marks on the exhaust housing in the volute area. I think this actually ended up being significant because when I hooked up gauges to show drive pressure, mine was actually pretty good (barely over 1:1 if I recall correctly).
So... now I rebuilt it and installed a 62x75 turbine wheel. Test drive today showed a drop of 70-100*f, and a reduction in cruising boost of around 2-3 psi. If I got on the throttle like a moron I noted much less smoke and much lighter color. Spool up seems about the same. I’m looking forward to towing my 7 x 14’ trailer to see the difference with a load.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I didn’t want to change the behavior of the HE351CW that much. The larger wheels people put on seem like they’d compromise spooling and reliability too much for me. Longer test drive today and I think it’s going work really well. I’m shocked at how much it cleaned up the smoke (I only drive like that anyway when testing out changes), and even though the temp climbs rapidly, it seemed like it wanted to peak at 1000 (full throttle 6th gear pulls). I’m still easing it into hard pulls due to the rebuild. Truck sounds a little different too, hard to describe, but maybe quieter/smoother? Just a touch. Only one of those things just I’d notice.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I did the same mod after a couple of years and my son put one, an HE351CW, on his 03 with the same wheel upgrade. He tows heavy and couldn't believe the difference. Good to hear someone else's experience with it. Confirms my take on it.
Well worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, you used the 62mm wheel? I think it’s the logical choice, but had never heard of anyone else using it.

·
Supporting Vendor
8,229 Posts
Thank you for sharing
Did any of you port the wastegate and use the stock wheel before making the change to a 75/62 turbine wheel?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I did both of those. I never thought drive pressure (I actually measured it) was as bad as people assume it to be. I did mildly port/clean up the exhaust housing prior to first putting it on with stock wheels

·
Registered
394 Posts
When I was going to do the swap initially I spoke with PDD and they said not to worry about porting the waste gate. I did gasket match the exhaust housing and exhaust manifold though. I never got around to putting a drive pressure gauge on though so no info. there from me.
Yes, I did both of those. I never thought drive pressure (I actually measured it) was as bad as people assume it to be. I did mildly port/clean up the exhaust housing prior to first putting it on with stock wheels

·
Registered
463 Posts
where is this turbine from? never seen it before...just wondering.

thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BAE used to sell them. If I remember correctly, they came on a WH1E (I think). I believe this was a Marine turbo

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m positive about it. I’d been eyeballing this wheel for years. BAE used to sell them, but it appears they’re out of business now. I got it off of eBay

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also got a 70 x 62mm wheel, but the tips were longer and would’ve required more machining in a different direction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts