Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

HE351 retrofit to second gen

482088 Views 1105 Replies 165 Participants Last post by  jkidd
I'm working with Jacob (JKidd) @ DieselAutoPower to work through all the details of retrofitting a 3rd gen HE351 to our second gen trucks. I finally got around to installing the boost and drive pressure gauges this weekend. I had this dual gauge pod laying around left over from my Samurai project. The light is for my low pressure light I had on my last set of gauges.

Anyhow, my truck has a Adrenaline/pulse with a set of Farmboysdiesel 150hp sticks. I've installed a boost elbow as well. Along with silicone boots. During the clips I had the trans locked in OD with the TC locked as well. The ADR was on PL8. Also it's set to defuel at 40psi. As you can see, the poor HX35 is overworked to say the least. But drive pressures are ok. Also, I'm rolling on 37" tires too so that's why I'm doing rolling speed tests since spinning these big tires aren't fun (or cheap! :hehe: ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgSPVr89TmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G018zl9U-JY
Reactions: redliner0to60
1 - 20 of 1106 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
retrofitting a 3rd gen HE351 to our second gen trucks
That would be awesome! I hope to hear more

· DieselAutoPower.com
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, I'll keep everyone posted. I had planned on making a mount for the wastegate and just getting by. But I'm going to work out a downpipe and charge air pipe for our trucks.

· Vendor
13,011 Posts
Hopefully it will be worth the time and investment. We are looking for a nice cheap alternative to an HX35/40 or s300. Should be great for the 12v and 24v automatics.

Keep up the good work. Maybe I should have set you up with 2x 60lb gauges so it would be easier to compare.

How is it towing?

· DieselAutoPower.com
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully it will be worth the time and investment. We are looking for a nice cheap alternative to an HX35/40 or s300. Should be great for the 12v and 24v automatics.

Keep up the good work. Maybe I should have set you up with 2x 60lb gauges so it would be easier to compare.

How is it towing?
I think maybe 2x 60's would have been better. I don't plan on high boost. It'll work though.

Haven't really towed anything since installing the 37's due to clearance. But you can see in the vids, I've exceeded what the HX35 can do.

Today I finished cleaning up wth HE351 exhaust housing. It had a good deal of rust on it. I also took a little time to open up the wastegate a little with the die grinder. I'm able to pass a quarter through it now. I'll take pics tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get the turbo buttoned back up by this weekend. Then I'll be working on plumbing up the downpipe and charge air.

· DieselAutoPower.com
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Made a little more progress today. I've been gone all weekend with the Wife to the moutains. Tomorrow is time with the kids, so I'm doubing I'll get anything else done. Anyhow, I've got to get more parts before I can proceed now.

The HE351 I picked up was in rough shape looks wise. The wastegate was rusted shut, so after a day of fighting to get it torn down. (Without breaking anything!) I let the exhaust housing sit in some old ATF I had for two weeks. That freed up the wastegate. I then took the housing and went to it with the air rotary tool and a rotory file. I opened up the wastegate to the size of a quarter. (You could open it up a little more)

After that I taped off all the flange sections to paint the housings.

Also while I had the actuator off I drilled out the "rivet" hole so I can adjust the preload on the wastegate.

Another thing you'll need to do while tearing down/reassmbly is remove any of these indicator pegs. These clock the center housing upsidedown to what a 2nd gen needs.

Got everything buttoned back up and together. I left the exhaust manifold at ~45deg, then made the oil intake hole squared off that. Basically imagine the flat surfaces of the exhaust port and the oil inlet as -\ The - is the oil inlet, and the \ is the exh. Then use the wastegate actuator to line it up.

You'll also notice in the pic the ATS plug. Since I wasn't going to be using the factory solenoid, I used one of these to clean up it's looks. The downside is the fact that it plugs off the feed to the actuator. I plan on installing my boost elbow from my HX35 anyhow. So I drilled the housing near the boss to 5/16".

Then I tapped it to 1/8"NPT. These taps can be found at checkers auto, and some Lowes. A good local hardware shop would likely have them as well. I installed a elbow I had laying around just for show.

I've got the exhaust gasket, and the oil return line gasket. So now it's a matter of making a charge air pipe and getting the silicone hoses for it. I'll try to source those parts this week.

· Registered
164 Posts
The progress looks real good man!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

· Registered
630 Posts
where did you get the plug for the electrical/boost controller port?

· Vendor
13,011 Posts
I now have a supply of flanges for the hx40 and HE351 that can be welded onto an existing 4"DP. Still looking for a good supply of V-band clamps for the larger flange. Those things are pretty expensive.

· Registered
630 Posts
i'm very intrested on how you plumb the charge air

· Registered
630 Posts
i have the VGT version of the turbo and my brother and i made it for his car originally and we are adapting it to my truck. but i havent working on the plumbing yet and want to see how fits before i down my truck for an extended period of time

· On call 24/7
13,753 Posts
subscribed

1 - 20 of 1106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.