Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

He351 Question

1310 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  codybeck
I have an early 04 and I am considering getting the He351 (off a 6.7L if that makes a difference) to replace my He341. My question is what will I need inorder to install the new turbo? A new manifold? Downpipe? Or will it just bolt on? Also I am wanting to eventually do twins. Will this turbo be good in a twin setup or should I go a different route? I dont tow much (maybe 4000 lbs couple times a year) and this truck is a DD if that makes a difference. Please let me know what you think. Any and all advice is very appreciated!!!:thumbsup:
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
15,655 Posts
Thats not an HE351 if its off a 6.7, thats an HE351VE variable geometry turbo.

You can use it but you will have a bit of work to do:

Flange is different and you will need to cut the one off yours and weld the new one on and smooth out the flow.

You will have to build a control for the variable part of the turbo. A waste gate control, some spare metal, and a welder and your in business.

· Registered
959 Posts
Ya thats a VG turbo if its off a 6.7 like he said but its possible

· Premium Member
12,470 Posts
why not just get a he351 from an 06 or 07 so you dont have to mess with the variable geometry, although the 6.7 turbo would be sweet

· Registered
959 Posts
Yes the he351 would be easy to put on, but if you get a awsome deal on a 6.7 turbo it may be worth it IMO

· Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys. The reason i was asking about the he351 off a 6.7 is because they have them on ebay for like $150. I think I will just go with a regular he351 non ve.What kind of difference will I see with the He351 compared to the He341 as far as spool and such? I have one other question, when i have my predator on high and have my van aaken on the low setting the truck runs pretty good. However when I put the van aaken on high its like my truck is choking I guess would be the best way to put it. If my predator is on the middle setting and the van aaken is on period it does this. Is my injector pump going out or is something else the problem?

· Premium Member
15,655 Posts
the he351 off a 6.7 is because they have them on ebay for like $150
Exactly! Now that everybody with a diesel or a ricer figured out the HE351's are so good you can't touch them for less than $300 most of the time.

You won't notice any difference in spool but you will notice it on the top end where they will flow more air at 35-40 psi than the 341. EGT's will drop nicely in that range.

As for the other problem, your draining the rail with that much programming. The stock lift pump can no way keep up so its running out of fuel. You will need and AirDog\FASS and possibly some CP-3 mods to adequtely use the programs.

· Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Makes sense. Thanks alot for all the help guys.:thumbsup:
Trying to figure all this stuff out a little at a time.

Which would be better the AD or Fass? What kind of cp3 mods?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.