Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hazing and slight misfire - Which Injectors should I go with? BBI or Exergy?

Hey, Guys!

So my truck started Hazing on a vacation trip up in Montana back in July. Had me really worried because I still had to tow the 10K Camper back to Utah. It hazed the most when it was cold then would be fine after you got it warmed up, but felt down on power. Rail pressure was normal, Idle was fine, Truck acted like there was nothing wrong but hazed.
Hooked the trailer back up to go home, still hazing, pulled fine though. Once we got back to Utah and I switched the tune back to '4' (IIRC is a 100+HP Tune) it stopped hazing at all! So I chalked it up to be a tuning issue that I procrastinated to take to my tuner (Starlite Diesel) while I caught back up at work. Then, it started hazing again and this time it's missing. Sounded like the AC kicking on or something (I already wrote a thread on this.... This post has been a long time coming.) but the AC and all of the HVAC controls are off. (Checked the Compressor clutch to make sure.) Rail Pressure is still normal except when I hear the Miss and it drops. It will go from 5.1KPSI to 4.2KPSI then Spike to 5.9KPSI then go back to it's normal 5.0 - 5.4KPSI. But it still drives normally and only misses at Idle.

So as a test, I took it on the freeway and laid into it to see if it did anything differently... I noticed a lot more black smoke pre-boost and didn't clean up until about 2800RPM and 24-28 PSI Boost and still had more black smoke longer. I played around with the tunes a bit and noticed more smoke on all tunes. 1-5 on the CSP5 switch. I also notice; at WOT, Rail pressure won't go above 22KPSI. My first thought was a weak FPRV, but that wouldn't solve my hazing issue. Thus - I have a leaky injector... No blow-by at all.

One other thing that I've noticed... It stops hazing almost completely if I run some Power Service Fuell additive, but once that tank is gone, it starts back up again. Since I don't want a band-aid to be a permanent fix, I've parked the truck to avoid any chance of washing out a cylinder. Also - the radiator cracked last week end while towing my project truck to a buddy's place for safe keeping.... Nothing bad. Just enough to not notice it while towing but notice a drip as soon as I got home.

Now that I've laid out my long-winded story... BBI Vs. Exergy?

I've heard nothing but good about both companies but I'm on a tight, TIGHT budget and will have to save up for injectors either way. I WANT to go with bigger injectors, but my wallet won't allow for bigger injectors and the funds for a turbo that will make it worth it. So I'm going to have to go with stock flow rate. I want to get injectors that will take the abuse that my current ones have, as they are the original factory injectors that came with the truck in late 2007. They have 250K on them now. The truck has been deleted since 130K miles and driven HARD the whole time. I know both previous owners who verified this.

First owner is a foreman for a cement company that used it to haul cement, tools, crew, water, asphalt, equipment, ETC... and floored it every where. (his words, not mine.) Second owner is a barrel racer/horse rancher who bought it, deleted it immediately, and used it to haul his horse trailer and tractors around for events and what-not. He stated that he blew 2 head gaskets and 3 turbos and said that he was "not nice to that truck." He got rid of it because he was worried about the injectors being next. Then I bought it with 180K miles on it at auction and used it to haul hay and did some hot-shotting with it for 2 or 3 years before I finished school. Then I blew a head gasket in a pi$$ing match with a BMW on the freeway... (PSA - stock head bolts don't like 4300 RPM) I have a thread on that also.

The point to this story is this:
I need to get injectors that will take everything that I regularly throw at this truck. I don't pull heavy anymore but still daily it and, Admittedly, drive it like I can afford to fix it. I can't, but I still do. Pay to play, right?

Thanks in advance, all!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.....?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Double Bump?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Sounds like you already have your answer, stock injectors lasted this long, go with a set of reman stock Bosch sticks and be done. I'm sure that there are vendors on CF that would be able to help you with a purchase.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the time has finally come that I have the money to do the injectors finally. I decided to start pulling them the other day and the batteries were dead and wouldn't take a charge... Add that to the list of things this truck needs. So I was forced to pull them where the truck sits, in the freezing rain. Hard to tell, but it was snowing in the first picture.
They all basically looked like the one I took a picture off. They were all wet and look covered in soot and debris. I decided to have them flow tested and cleaned before I actually pull the trigger on new injectors. If I can get away with just replacing the nozzles, it will be a miracle! I'll be taking them up to Baker's Diesel to have them tested.

New radiator, Front drive shaft, and batteries to come!

Fingers Crossed!

Attachments

Reactions: Babin Farms

·
Mike @ Dude's Diesel Performance
251 Posts
So the time has finally come that I have the money to do the injectors finally. I decided to start pulling them the other day and the batteries were dead and wouldn't take a charge... Add that to the list of things this truck needs. So I was forced to pull them where the truck sits, in the freezing rain. Hard to tell, but it was snowing in the first picture.
They all basically looked like the one I took a picture off. They were all wet and look covered in soot and debris. I decided to have them flow tested and cleaned before I actually pull the trigger on new injectors. If I can get away with just replacing the nozzles, it will be a miracle! I'll be taking them up to Baker's Diesel to have them tested.

New radiator, Front drive shaft, and batteries to come!

Fingers Crossed!
For stock power a set of Bosch will do the trick. A lot of our customers like the BBI tow series as well as they can provide a bit more fuel if needed for slight power bump. Keep in mind +\- 2% is an acceptable flow rate, if there is any more variance than that it’s no good. If some don’t test well I would recommend replacing them all while you have them pulled. Let me know if I can be of any assistance by PM/Email/Phone.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For stock power a set of Bosch will do the trick. A lot of our customers like the BBI tow series as well as they can provide a bit more fuel if needed for slight power bump. Keep in mind +\- 2% is an acceptable flow rate, if there is any more variance than that it’s no good. If some don’t test well I would recommend replacing them all while you have them pulled. Let me know if I can be of any assistance by PM/Email/Phone.

Keep us posted!
Thank you for the reply!

Will the "Tow Series" Have any effect on EGT's with the stock Turbo?

·
251 Posts

Keep us posted!
Thank you for the reply!

Will the "Tow Series" Have any effect on EGT's with the stock Turbo?
They will not- they will command the same amount of fuel you are currently supplying/demanding from ECM but if you have tuning changes down the road there would be an opportunity to add more fuel for more power. Even with adding more fuel a good tuner will not raise egts much during normal driving

·
Premium Member
15,327 Posts
Forget the testing, waste of money. Forget changing the nozzles, that is way more complicated and involved than you think. forget remans unless you want to fight with problems, HG's, and a motor rebuild.

Either get a set of NEW Bosch injectors available for good prices many places, or BBI remans. If you are not looking for specific needs stock 6.7 injectors and a tune will make a large difference in performance.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the flow test came back as 100% failure rate. Every injector was returning high. Some as high as 126 Nutan Meters of fuel (How ever that is measured.) So I need new injectors. The shop that I'm working with is giving me a deal on brand new injectors from Bosche with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty at cost for $400 each. I think I'm going to take that Deal. I really wanted the BBI injectors, but there's quite a price difference there.
New Radiator is on it's way and as soon as it's up and running, I'll be taking it to the Driveline shop to have the Front Drive shaft rebuilt.
Thanks to all involved!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New injectors are in!! :) Fired up first try! BUT.... It's still hazing a bit and now it seems to have a puff of smoke at the end of every bump in throttle. Color me confused.
Maybe turbo seal....? I could use some advise on this one guys.
https://youtu.be/Zr7MzIHivas

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any ideas? I checked the turbo and everything is dry and it is still building boost like normal. In fact, I blew a boot on a test drive. (only 25PSI and I just didn't push the boot all the way onto the intercooler after pulling the radiator.)

·
251 Posts
Is your coolant level still where it should be? Some haze is normal - was this video done with truck up to full operating temp? What was ambient temp?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After a few heat cycles, I got the coolant system burped and it's been expanding and contracting like it should be in the Overflow. The video was taken at 160 ECT BEFORE I replaced the Rad. Ambient temp was about 45-55 F.
SInce that video I haven't noticed much more hazing, but that puff of smoke at the end of the black smoke is still there. I'm not sure what it could be.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's no Blow-By. It's not burning/losing oil. Rail pressure idles right at 5.0K (Just like before) and peaks at 25K (According to my Edge Insight monitor) No fuel leaks that I can see. Maybe I'm missing something?

·
Premium Member
15,327 Posts
If the miss an constant hazing is gone what is left is likely the tuning, not unusual.

Reactions: Fanman43

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the miss an constant hazing is gone what is left is likely the tuning, not unusual.
I should have thought of that. I'll talk to Starlite about getting a new tune on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts