Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my 93 is driving me nuts!!!!!! Changed injection pump cause it was going south truck never really ran well when i bought it did all the upgrades to the pump but still cant get any power out of it. Have 100 horse injectors had my pump rechecked and flow tested it is putting 150 cc's of fuel on the stand but will not blow black smoke just a haze its kinda white so thought the timing was off have had the pump back of again and the front cover to make sure its right but still no change!!!!! I also have a 14 cm non wastegated exhaust housing and cn only get 18#'s of boost everything and everybody says I should be in the 35# range any help????:CRY::CRY::CRY::$::$:

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
What is done to the pump?

Do you know the pop pressures of the injectors? They're not second generation injectors, are they? That'd cause the kinds of symptoms you're reporting.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe they are set at 3500 and no they are 9mm 1st gen set I believe?? The other problem is that there is no black smoke at all!!!!!!!!! And no power!!!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Well, if they're 9mm that pretty much means that they'd need to be for the first gen...

Next obvious solution would be a fuel flow problem. Dead lift pump, rubber fuel line sucking shut under vacuum, or a clogged filter or screen someplace.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just curious, where did you get 100hp 9mm injectors?

·
1ST GEN
15,575 Posts
Your 93 should have 7MM injectors in it unless someone installed an earlyer head on the engine. If the pop pressures are set for 3500 like you stated that is to high for a VE pump. If my memory is working right I think 2650 is the pop pressure for a VE.

Get us the numbers off the injector bodys. If you know who the injectors came from might help also.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Oh, it's a '93 truck with "9mm injectors". Yeah, that doesn't add up...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Your 93 should have 7MM injectors in it unless someone installed an earlyer head on the engine. If the pop pressures are set for 3500 like you stated that is to high for a VE pump. If my memory is working right I think 2650 is the pop pressure for a VE.

Get us the numbers off the injector bodys. If you know who the injectors came from might help also.
Maybe some one was nice and swapped heads even.:lol3:

·
Banned
624 Posts
Bad I/C? Loosing boost, not enough pressure to move the AFC? I'd check that too.

The smoke, does it smell like diesel? Or bitter, eye burning? If the latter, lack of fuel, air leak, plugged filter, etc.

According to the FSM, the pop should be 3550 psi.

·
1ST GEN
15,575 Posts
Thanks Pete. Looks like my memory wasn't working to good yesterday morning. I don't want to hear any senior moment jokes. :rof

If he isn't getting black smoke I dought it has a boost leak. He would be smoking like a freight train if it was a boost leak.

Have you done a fuel pressure test on the lift pump?????

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just did a compression check on the enginge today I was at 410 to 450 bought a electric fuel pump today to check the lift pump to try and rual it out. The smoke is raw fuel and yes it does burn your eyes!!! Will know more tomorrow when I hook the electric pump up. Never thought of the filter being plugged. Will change it tomorrow!!! The 100 horse injectors came out of a komatsu loader with a 4bt just bought 6 of them my buddy did who has way to much time on his hands did the testing when he built his not neer as many options for injectors. Thank you guys for all the help at first thought it was timing but have done all the timing moves I can including moving the pump gear up one tooth from E to C now heres is a question have you guys heard that some of the late 93's timed on F and not E????

·
Registered
570 Posts
There are tons of options of injectors. Just not tons of shops that realize there were cummins engines in dodge trucks before 1994. I say swap injectors and see what's going on. You may be able to bump the timing some or just energize the KSB selinoid to see if it changes the haze any. But I doubt that your problem is fuel supply. I say injectors. Please try to get all the numbers off of an injector for us so we can x-refference them.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You got it will get that done today a post this evening. The ksb?? is that retard timing solenoid on the side of the pump?? Thought that was only to be hot at start??

·
Registered
570 Posts
If energized the KSB is said to give 7* static timing. Give or take of course. But 7* should show you if timing will help at all before you bump the pump. Is it possible that the pump gear was 1 tooth off and the pump shop never picked up on it. This really sounds like retarded timing.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put the pump myself just had it rebuilt at the shop but I am one tooth advanced on on the pump gear. And rolled up to the head on the pump itself thought it was timing also but have not been able to get any difference in the truck performance. with all the timing changes. Thats why i did a compression test and was trying the supply pump pressure and maybe some air in the system?? But will check the ksb. THANKS again for all the suggestions will keep everyone posted!!!! Or will put the post up for the sale or bar-b-q when I get tired of messing with it and burn it to the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok guys got the injector number but aperantly was lied to and never did look at the injectors before install so lied to you all also but here are the numbers the injectors say lucas on them the tops say 9322 the bodies say ljc 6760417 erm now can anyone tell me what they are also I found a crack in one of the injector bodies doesnt look like there is anything been leeking out of it but just want to know if this could cause any of my probles??

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OKIE DOKIE we are getting closer now at least now I am getting black smoke at wot from a dead stop!!! This is what I found I was actually to far advanced so I did what cummins pride told me to do and hooked up the KSB and rolled the pump all the way back now getting a little smoke but still not much am going to continue playing see if I can get more. I think that I should have alot more than I do now. Could the timing be still to far advanced?? MY aneroid is screw down till there are threads showing on the hold down nut!!! Also my star wheel is turned all the way down to the bottom. Shouldnt I be getting alot of smoke???

·
Registered
570 Posts
With the pump rolled all the way back from the head, disconnect the KSB. This will be the least timing. It almost sounds like your fuel pin is sticking. Try removing the spring in the AFC housing. Also with the fuel pin removed, look into the housing and blip the throttle once to see if the small needle moves outward. You will need to shove it back in with a small screw driver before reinstalling your fuel pin.

And I found those injectors online but cannot get any info till monday on them.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I groung the fuel pin today had an extra one laying around so thought I would give that a whirl it actualy runs worse explain that???? My pump is now rolled back as far as it can go it now runs better with the other pin.<< The non ground pin. Thank you for the injector help. I know they are LUCAS but not much more than that.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OKIE DOKIE here we go pulled the spring out of the afc with ground fuel pin and holy crap now we got around 25-28#'s of boost going down the road but not catching up at start with the 14cm housing should I be in the 30 to 35 pound range??? Also why is working with out the spring?????

1 - 20 of 31 Posts