Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got new fenders for my truck and I'm having a real difficult time getting them lined up good. I already messed the paint up trying once so I decided to ask if there was a certain way to line them up. Do I have to put the inner fender on separately?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like they are aftermarket junk, a little hint on installing body panels you have already painted run a piece of masking tape on the edges. It helps to avoid barking the paint off. Yes we always mount the inner fenders last makes it a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There not cheap ones I go them off other truck sane as mine the inner fender is off and we tried again and it needs to come forwards but it can't.

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
There not cheap ones I go them off other truck sane as mine the inner fender is off and we tried again and it needs to come forwards but it can't.
Do you have a picture to show the problem?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't get it to upload but the Problem is the fender needs to move forward 3/4 of an inch to clear the door but it can't come up any further because the studs

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Use photobucket or another photo uploading site then copy the image to the post.

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
I see your problem...You are trying to force a red fender onto a blue truck. :hehe:

At this point I would suggest you measure your frame. When you look at the frame there are holes and parts welded on each side that mirror each other. Measure from the front right to the rear left and in reverse. By measuring in an X pattern you can see if the frame is straight or off by no more than 1/8" which is the acceptable factory tolerance.

If the frame is straight look at the bottom of the cab. Are the cab mounts rotten or bent? Normally to see this kind of issue something is out of whack. A rotten cab mount is a likely reason for this alignment problem. If a cab mount is rotted the cab sits lower. As it sits lower it also tips forward. That can cause this kind of problem. The part that sits on the frame holds a rubber puck. If the middle rots out the rubber spacer can fall through the metal. The cheap cure is to weld a washer with the right size hole over the existing mount.

While the fender itself might be the problem it is unlikely. Even the aftermarket fenders are not normally off that much especially when they come off another truck they fit on just fine.

For your future reference...

On the right part of the photobucket screen see... "Links to share this photo"
Click on the IMG code. It will say copied. Then just cut and paste here like this.

http://i869.photobucket.

com/albums/ab251/Ctd1435/image_zps514714b2.jpg

(minus the spaces) to have the picture appear here like you see below.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It looks like the cowl panel on the firewall is bent a little cause you can see the paint is cracked. My husband says to get a phone number off of you and he can help you out, we had to stretch the door post on my green truck. He lives and breathes these Dodges. I'll send you our number in a private message just in case you don't feel comfortable giving out yours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.