Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About eight years ago I had to replace the compressor, condenser and orifice tube. Ordered everything online and it fit just fine. Now I need to replace a stone holed condenser and even though the part numbers are the same as what I have now, the ones I've bought have all come in with one of the fittings straight and one angled. Mine are both angled. There is no way you could bend the line. It's right next to the block that seals up to the condenser. It would just snap off trying to bend it there. Anyone else run into this issue?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Maybe try different parts stores.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only three in our little town in Wyoming. All the same. I just wonder if the manufactures are trying to make them fit more applications and now you have to buy a new hose too. Even so the straight fitting doesn't look like it would clear the intercooler.

·
Vendor
14,921 Posts
I don't recall this issue ever coming up before.
What year truck?

Mine is 03 with OEM condenser and both hoses were replaced 4-5 years ago, one straight, one angled.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Napa is usually good. Also Genos, 1Aauto, Summit, Rock auto. Maybe even eBay… if you dare take a chance on getting one that’s still usable!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Napa had the wrong one. O'reilly's and Car Quest both wrong. Waiting for A1 to let me know if their's has both fittings angled. I've given up on Rock Auto, they always arrive damaged and now you can't talk to a person anymore to ask which way the fittings point. Not worth the risk of buying one, waiting for it to show up, find out it's wrong or damaged, then send it back before they'll issue you a refund. Didn't think about Genos or Summit. Guess I'll check them out.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I never had the guts to try to tig weld a thin coil but I have had friends do it for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As many places as I see oil on the fins, I fear it would be throwing good money after bad. Genos didn't have anything. Waiting for Summit to get back to me. On the website it shows two views of the condenser, one with both angled and one with one angled and one straight. On the same part! They put in a request to have the warehouse open the box and look at the part.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
On the rock auto site they have the one your looking for , I’ve never seen one with both fittings angled , mines one angled and one strait . I also went with the parallel flow and my a/c will dip into the high 20’s now , never was it anywhere this good eaven when it was new !

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
This appears to be the one you need .
Product Output device Rectangle Audio equipment Font

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw this one. Summit Racing also carries the exact same one. But, if you look at the Summit page where it gives two different views, it shows the fittings going both ways. Which one will I receive? Rock Auto is a big pain to return something. And, like I said, they no longer allow you to talk to a person to ask a question. Not even with an email. On there help page it says if it isn't included in the info it isn't important. B.S.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
I got my whole a/c system from rock auto . Post up a pic of the condenser connections so we can see what your working with .

Reactions: tryNto

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system Cable

You can see both are angled. If the lower one was straight I think it would hit the header on the intercooler. That and there is no way to bend that line right there without it breaking.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I replaced my condenser a few years ago with one from RockAuto and never noticed the angled vs not angled blocks on the condenser. So I went out to take a look for the sake of this thread and I have angled top and straight bottom on my 06. Everything clears (but is very close to intercooler). It is very close and hard to see from the photo but there is indeed an air gap all the way around the lower tube where it routes around the intercooler.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts