Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it's time for another mod. Just got my rims & tires. running the 37" Nitto Dune Runners. Have a couple grand lieing around. So I was wondering w/ a 1200+ goal in mind (please dont say it's alot of money or wishful thinking. it'd be done already if i wasnt building a car at the same time).

Should I do my lift pump next? and if so what should I go with? a really overpowered single or duals?.. Or should I get another tuner cause i really need to get rid of this banks p.o.s. It's underpowered and deffinately caused enough electrical problems with my baby. But if I get a new tuner should I swap out my turbo as well at that time? Or should I just say screw the bolt on's and do my cam/valve train? I do know when I get my cam done it's going to be an "extreme" lope.. Whatever that means. I just told the place I wanted it borderline non streetabe. (meaning it almost stalls at red lights). I just want the most agressive possible. (The truck see's alot of 1/4 mile money runs and races alot of imports. It already has honda beater on the back and i have my evo beater sticker on stand by. lol) Or should I do my pullies and a girdle since i have to do them aventually as well.

I just usually jump into things (hense the reason 200hp nozzles on stock turbo/lift pump. Thank god i have such a crappy tuner as the six gun or i'd be causeing some damage the way i drive. So I'm trying to do things somewhat the right way from here so please HELP!. only people i know who work on diesels or own them are very bias. Especially towards banks products. Hense the tuner. (and i cant figure out why. there a waste of money and power)

·
Registered
159 Posts
200hp injectors and a stock turbo? That has to be a darn hot setup! I would think about your goal, and try to find a turbo setup to match it. If you are wanting to try and drive 1200hp on the road you are looking at twins.
So start off with a different turbo & gauges so you can keep a better eye on thing when you change your tuner. I would go Smarty, I hated to jump on the Smarty bandwagon, but they have a very well designed product. Good luck

Reactions: whytepympin

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
What year is the truck?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea im sure its hot but i havent done no damage yet. plus im running meth 24/7 set to anytime i go into boost. I was thinking about a custom set of twins based on a gt48r since i have pretty fair access to them at a really discounted price. But for a turbo that size either i would have to spray a whole lot or get a twin and I dont want to journey down that road if i dont have to. But I dont like doing what other people have done if you can't tell by 200 injectors. let alone on a stock turbo and cp3. I just dont like the numbers that most of these turbo set ups have. Let alone there overall power ranges. Havent found a set of twins to make my man parts happy yet. Any recommendations for a set of twins that may only need a small shot of happy juice to spool?.

The tuner i already have picked out my edge and smarty to stack. I'm sure i'll hear tons of about that just like i did when i said i was gunna run 75% meth to 25% water. but guess what. keeps me cool and gives alotta power.!..

And the truck is an 06 slt 8 ft bed

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
man you need to talk to jms shepherd about this he has been down this road just like me and its a long road first thing you need to do is pull the motor gut it and build a killer short block, get the head worked over by a shop like zz customs, then you have the base motor done next is the air fuel and so on and so on. if you want that power level you wont get anywhere near it with a motor that not prebuilt and ready. for air i am running a garrett twin setup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
First off I betcha I do my power numbers on stock pistons, rods and cranks. Just a girdle on the bottom end. Maybe some new rod bolts. Possibly a better wrist pin, and a harmonic balancer. Thats the weakest points on any motor when trying to make it big horse. And not to mention cryofreezing. But thats a different story. But I do have some new internals being made as we speak. Got them at a great deal and evolution racing out over here by me is going to do any machining.

As far as the head there really isnt to much room for improvement on the flow numbers with air doing something like port and polishing.(from the flow charts i've actually been able to find) And doing a bolt on like a cam and some springs and valves really isnt expensive nor time consuming. I dont understand how people say 40k into a car is alot when theres some like the dodge stealth that need nearly 100k into it to make it reliable and remotely fast. (I mean like high 9's).

What kind of garrett twins are you running? From what i understand being an automatic with a low stall i really cant run something as large as a gt48r period without spraying. Even in a twin setup?.. (only from what i've read. never seen anyone with it). They said i need to be a manual.

Another good ? is does anyone know another tire besides the nitto dune runners or a toyo proxy that is putting that much tire width down to the ground? In a 37 without being an offroad tire with the whoom sound on the highway.? And what kinda slick is best for our power range?

And still havent gotten any good feed back on a single cp3 at those power numbers or duals?. Obviously ever place tries to sell you there prime products and you hear about this one who did this and that one who has that. But i've never seem anyone with them or even pictures of the setup. :confused013:

It's tax time and im getting enough to finish all my bolt ons so. Time to really start doing homework on this all. parts in the next 4 weeks :drool2:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
U won't get to that power level with stock Cr rods no matter what u do to them and for the cost of 12v rods why push ur luck. I'm running a 40 and 47 Garrett set up spool should be alot faster then say a II racing twin set. As for fuel duels only way to go why push a single pump to make that power when two can it with half the work. U should call tod at tc diesel and talk about the fuel side he knows his stuff. Crank I got mine out of a 12v as well. Far as porting u need to talk with Greg at zz, customs he has flow numbers for before and after. Good luck I have well north of 40k in my setup and a year and half doing research on what to run

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
call Drake @ Total Performance Diesel in Santa Rosa CA. His truck is in the latest diesel power mag, the white 3rd gen. he just put down 12XXhp 25XXft lbs tq. he can direct you where you need to go to make that power. and i see you have an auto right, well he can tell you what trans setup to run to hold the power. Best of luck. If you are serious about this then give him a call. His truck is no joke, i watched it run a 10.8 at 86mph, tranny lost line pressure at 600ft mark.

Well good luck and hope your tax return is very nice. Also dont believe everything you hear on here, find a truck that is making the power you want and that will give you some ideas as to what it will take.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts