Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting for a friend. He has an 06 and he has to start it every time with ether. I just found out that he has been doing this. After it starts it runs great but I forgot to ask him if it smoked after start up. What could be the cause. My thoughts were injectors or cp3?

·
Tennesse Chapter President
1,614 Posts
more than likely an injector is leaking off pressure. I am almost 100% that is what mine is doing. I can crank and crank and never start without ether. Yesterday we checked all the injectors and the are all firing, number 1 less than others. Then this morning I isolated the #1 injector and it started right up, so Monday I am ordering an injector.

·
Tennesse Chapter President
1,614 Posts
the part I used to isolate it was...miller part # 9011, got it from my snap-on dealer for $20, Geno's also has them.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
:agree2: its either the rail prv or a leaking injector. I can't believe how many people use ether on these trucks to force it to start when obviously something needs to be fixed otherwise it would start on its own :banghead:

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
You guys might think im stupid but first thing i wouldnt be using too much either if any to start these new diesels.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
You guys might think im stupid but first thing i wouldnt be using too much either if any to start these new diesels.
I don't use ether on anything unless its a last resort. If it normally starts fine without ether then suddenly doesn't start its time to fix something not just pour ether in it weather it be gas or diesel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wouldn't use ether! That stuff is horrible on diesel engines. If you use it too much, it will become dependent on it. Have you considered a pump issue? Either lift or injector. I had the same issue on my 99 dodge. My lift pump would go out, and after going through a couple of those, my lift pump went out due to lack of fuel lubricating it. Instead of using ether, I got a shop rag, put a little bit of gas on there and stuffed it in the air intake. Now you might want a second person to do this so your truck doesn't suck it in. Your truck will not suck the gas, its just using the fumes to get it going and get a natural vaccuum to get the fuel to the engine. Something to consider.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
:rof :rof : rof :hehe: :hehe: I have nothing good to say about the previous post its all wrong other then saying check out ur lift pump but that's unlikely to be the culprit here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts