Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Hate the factory tires

7K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Pdd 
#1 ·
Anyone have any luck with the newer bfg ko2 dt? Dt are designed for heavy duty trucks

#4 ·
I have never run the factory tires more then from the dealer to the local tire shop for a swap out on the same day. We have a few trucks in the fleet with the Firestone tires and they do not last.

#13 ·
I put the BFG KO2's on my 13 Ram 3500 and the truck ate them up, much faster than the factory Firestones which I got around 25k miles out of. I put the Duratracs on it and I absolutely loved them. I put not quite 40K miles on them and they still had tread left when I traded it in. The Duratracs are used a lot by the oil field guys around here because of the hard rubber. They wear very well and they do great in the mud and snow. The downside to them is they pick up everything and throw it on the truck. I plan on getting the Duratracs on my 19 in the spring when I get my wheels. I can't throw new tires away so I want to get at least 9 months out of the tires before I get rid of them.

#14 ·
I have the original equipment Firestone AT’s. 37000 miles 6000 of that towing a fifth wheel with pretty close to max weight. The tires have worn well. Good traction and zero hydroplaning. I’m trying to decide how anything can really be better. I know everyone disses them but mine have been as good as any tire I’ve had on a Heavy Duty truck. 2018 Ram CC 3500 HO with a 46 gal extra tank. B&W companion hitch.

#16 ·
The OEM Transforce HT on my 2500 2WD were fine for towing our 5th wheel in dry weather paved roads, but we got caught in a snow storm up in Logan UT this past Thanksgiving and it was dangerous. No traction or braking in the cold rain, slushy snow and some minor icy conditions (to be expected with OEM Summer tires).

Ended up getting a set of all terrain M/S tires so we could drive home safely.
After looking at all the options I chose the Cooper Discoverer RTX that were on sale at Big O tires, buy three get one free black Friday promo.

Really happy with these tires... not noisy, smooth ride and didn't hurt the gas mileage.
Traction was great in the snow and rain that was coming down pretty heavy on I-15 as we made our way back home.
Cooper Discoverer RTX | Cooper Tire

#17 ·
I've been using the BFG TKO2s in size LT315 70R17 on my '06 2500 Dodge Cummins quad cab for about 8 years and have been very happy with them. I chose them for their weight capacity and relatively light weight. They have worked well in snow, mud and rain and towing around 10K lb. I usually get 45k to 50k miles on a set.

#19 ·
My factory Firestone's went in the trash at 9000 miles after I almost slid into a house at 10 MPH on packed snow. Not to mention I was tired of the traction loss every time it drizzled and I drove off from a stoplight.
Trying the Big O Bigfoot AT's now. Seems better. They are a copy of the Cooper Discoverer AT series.

On a side note, finding a tire shop (dealers included) that is willing to actually USE the Road Force feature of the balance machine is like pulling teeth.

#20 ·
On a side note, finding a tire shop (dealers included) that is willing to actually USE the Road Force feature of the balance machine is like pulling teeth.
That's odd. You'd think they'd want happy customers, and have them recommend their tire shop.

Also, they must've changed the newer machines as on mine I have to actively prevent it from doing the Road Force part, if for some reason I don't want to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.