Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a set of pocket flare on the way and like to do a diy paint job to match the truck. any suggestion which paint/brand, coats and tricks to get the job done? seen a 4x4 xtreme episode last year where they use a spray can for the flares and it turned out really nice. only problem was there's no detailed info on the paint job.

·
Registered
899 Posts
DON'T use a rattle can. it won't match. the paint is a base coat/ clear coat. u can just scuff them up, spray some adheasion promoter and use a paint gun w/ air comp to finish. any automotive paint store can set u up. the factory paint code is on the drivers door lable.take some time and it will turn out. it's not that hard.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
744 Posts
You can get automotive quality paint put into a spay bomb. It works pretty good. I like PPG brand paint. You can also get a flex agent put into the paint so it is less likely to crack. It is used on plastic bumber covers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
PPE and have it color matched to the fuel tank lid...my door code didnt match exactly so i used the fuel door...

also dont tighten the pocket bolts too tight or the paint will crack...

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, i've gathered all info and will search for local automotive paint store.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have a set of pocket flare on the way and like to do a diy paint job to match the truck. any suggestion which paint/brand, coats and tricks to get the job done? seen a 4x4 xtreme episode last year where they use a spray can for the flares and it turned out really nice. only problem was there's no detailed info on the paint job.

What brand of flares are you getting, where are you getting them from and how much due they cost?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's Bushwacker pocket style from Amazon. $386 shipped.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,247 Posts
I had mine painted, I wish I put the black rubber around the fender flare to protect the truck paint. but I didn't

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just little fyi I put my first set on and did not put some silcone on them and they left rubbing marks in the paint it sucks. Put a little silcone on the rubber when you install to stop the rubbing

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Matt (Mattiac) has his painted to match the blue on the truck. Looks sweet

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look good Matt, how much did it cost you for the paint job?

Kodiak, Seen Mattiac blue truck posted around here with the trailer. yup, looks nice with the pocket flare.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks Matt, it's not bad considering i have no tools what so ever for the paint job with the exception to the compressor. i'm going to the paint store today and check out the parts needed for DIY.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
maybe check shops then, after you buy paint and paint accessories and the gun etc you maybe be looking at more than a shop would cost. my body guy did my front and rear bumpers for 275 so..

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ended up using the spray can. guy from the paint store recommended it and it's not suppose to chip or crack. he also mentioned that he can color match the paint for my truck and can put it in spray can but it's going to cost over $100 since adhesive promoter and clear coat is also needed. Flares showed up when i got home from the paint shop so i got busy.

plastic prep+paint cost $41 including the sand paper that i did not use.

abs to 1st coat:

4th coat (final coat) paint does not match but it's close. i like it. it's better than the black color. Thanks guys..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lookin good. I have them on my '07. I took them off because my truck is being bought back. I did notice that there are scuff marks under where the rubber sits. Just make sure you take all the "rivets" off so they don't get painted.
Here's a pic of what mine looked like which are f/s btw.
--Hop

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey hop, we have similar truck even the flare fender is the same:headbang: looks good man!

·
Registered
24 Posts
OH I forgot to add! You'll need to remove your cummins sticker. It needs to slide back about 1/2" to clear the flares.
--Hop

·
Registered
728 Posts
i was going to paint mine, but my offset of my wheel makes me still throw mud all down my truck. In like 4 months the flares are all nicked up from rocks flinging back. Im gonna pull them off and get them line-x. along with my rocker pannels since there is no paint left on those either....

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OH I forgot to add! You'll need to remove your cummins sticker. It needs to slide back about 1/2" to clear the flares
crap! i did not know that you need to move the emblem. what kind of sticky did you use and where did you got it from? thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts