Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i bought an aftermarket stereo and an aftermarket backup camera. i hooked the video plug into the camera output on the back of the stereo. i then hooked the power wires up to my reverse lights.

the problem i have, is when i put the truck in reverse, the camera does not come on automatically. i can choose the camera option and it comes on just fine and shuts off when i pull it out of reverse. do i have to hook it up to the reverse switch and if so, where is the reverse switch on the g56?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its an ouku, i bought from a memeber on here, its a knock off kenwood. the deck works great, just cant figure out the backup camera

·
Registered
317 Posts
likely its a setting inside the deck that will fix you up assuming you have it hooked up right.

·
Registered
843 Posts
When I wired spot lights up to my reverse the only wire I could find was under the hood. Could not find one under dash.

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
Just wire a toggle switch that's what I did....

·
Registered
168 Posts
There is a wire in the radio harness the tells it when it's in reverse.. Installed a backup camera in the tailgate handle bezel.. It feeds thru a rear view mirror display.. Then I installed a camera in the front bumper and fed it thru my stereo.. Makes parking a lifted truck in a tight parking lot a breeze!!!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my stereo the only wire it has for the camera is the yellow video output labeled "camera" I hooked that up to the camera and then off of the camera was a power and ground wire. I checked the back if the stereo several times and found not find any other wires for the back up camera so I wired the positive and negative wires into my reverse lights.

Like I said the camera works great when I put it in reverse, I just have to choose camera from the menu, much like hooking it up to a toggle switch, that's just not how I wanted it hooked up

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hmmm also my stereo has a setting to toggle whether it pops up automatically or u have to choose it... What's ur stereo model?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey does anyone know where the reverse wire is under the dash for a g56

·
Registered
31 Posts
My tech info shows it located in a harness on top of drivers fender (under hood) and its a white/lt. green and it is a 12 volt trigger.

All video head units WILL need a reverse trigger for the screen to know when your in reverse, you should not have to select the camera, the wire color varies from manufactures but every unit I have ever installed has always had a reverse trigger wire if it has a B/U camera input.

·
Registered
494 Posts
the head unit has to have a reverse wire that you tie into your reverse lights. i want to say the wire is going to be pink or brown. what model radio do you have?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the help fellas. I was finally able to find the wire for the reverse trigger on the stereo. Hooked it up to my reverse lights I installed and miraculously it worked. Well there's 2 hrs of my life ill never get back lol. Thanks again for all the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts