Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has had Dodge buy their truck back or lemon settlement in the past few months?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has had Dodge buy their truck back or lemon settlement in the past few months?

Not yet, just started the paper work, dealer wants to check out the truck AGAIN!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think that buy-backs are going to become far & few between from here on. IMO.
For the following reasons. When there is not a fix available for an issue, the factory will become pro active and buy em back without too much resistance, like Jeep Wrangler water leaks and of course soot related Diesel issues. However with the last two procedures 18-013-08 Rev A for D1 & DH & 18-001-09 for DC & DM the failures are expected to be minimal, time will tell. Even if a vehicle QUALIFIES for filing a case , in most states the factory is allowed "A Final Attemp to Resolve/Repair" if effective , most states feel that the factory has met it's obligation and finds in the factory's favor. The technical field reps are confidant that the latest procedures are going to do the trick. However on a case by case basis, sometimes it just makes good business to sense to buy an owner out without going through the legal process.
Charlie

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think that buy-backs are going to become far & few between from here on. IMO.
For the following reasons. When there is not a fix available for an issue, the factory will become pro active and buy em back without too much resistance.

:confused013: Are going to be fa & few between from here on? Then you added:
For the following reasons. When there is not a fix available for an issue, the factory will become pro active and buy em back without too much resistance.

I guess I am not understanding......

SO if "buy backs" or "lemon law" is not going to happen, why don't companies admit they messed up with DPF and egr mess and let anyone who wants to remove the crap to help their problems do it and not void the warranty?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi
Well that an easy one.
#1 It's not a choice they are allowed to make , it's against the law. Vehicles are certified in every aspect to comply as presented for certification. As well as any additional improvements which will improve reliability Allowing you to remove the emission equipment would participating in a crime (with enough penalty to get them closed down). So that is not an option.

#2 The factory warrants the vehicle to pass the emission standards at their expense until they get it right. So when they don't get it right, out of the gate, they get a bit proactive on buy-backs until they do.

Come on now, this sounds a lot like 1975 with all the hot rodders complaining about catalytic converters and air pumps. Just continue to stamp your feet and the laws will go away. It's a free country, modify your vehicle to your hearts content, and continue to blame others for the results. My opinion is certainly not going to change your mind.

Charlie

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi

Come on now, this sounds a lot like 1975 with all the hot rodders complaining about catalytic converters and air pumps.
Charlie
that is something i guess a lot of people don't remember . i remember very well all the stopped up catalytic converters in the '70's and early '80's on gas engines . there were a lot of blown engines because of them stopping up and the engine couldn't breathe . the auto manufacturers knew they had major problems and knew they had no choice but to get it right . now we hardly ever hear of a stopped up cat on a gasser . i don't like all the emissions crap on our diesels but , in time it will all work out .

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Good Golly Miss Molly! There are some of us old f***s around here that remember when seat belts were an OPTION!!! You had to specify you wanted them and they charged extra on the build sheet. The first two 1/2 ton pickups and the first car I ever bought were that way. Oh crud, I'm telling my age!

:sb: :sb:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yea , but even scarier is the fact that some of us were working in the trade even back then, Saab gave up on popcorn 2 strokes, and here in the NorthEast US we have had to comply with Emissions , like it or not for almost as long.

For you youger fellas & gals here it's comply or park it & lose your tags & insurance since way back. I remember the State telling us to tell the owners with Oldsmobile Diesels converted to Gas 350 Cid to put the engine back to the way it was made!!!!. We value our Inspection licenses whether we agree or not.

If we still feel the need for speed & power there are off road alternatives to satisfy the urges.

Charlie

R

·
0 Posts
Hi
Well that an easy one.
#1 It's not a choice they are allowed to make , it's against the law. Vehicles are certified in every aspect to comply as presented for certification. As well as any additional improvements which will improve reliability Allowing you to remove the emission equipment would participating in a crime (with enough penalty to get them closed down). So that is not an option.

#2 The factory warrants the vehicle to pass the emission standards at their expense until they get it right. So when they don't get it right, out of the gate, they get a bit proactive on buy-backs until they do.

Come on now, this sounds a lot like 1975 with all the hot rodders complaining about catalytic converters and air pumps. Just continue to stamp your feet and the laws will go away. It's a free country, modify your vehicle to your hearts content, and continue to blame others for the results. My opinion is certainly not going to change your mind.

Charlie
Can you show me the "law" that says chrysler will be punished if they don't void waranty on vehicles. I know it's illegal for them to take anything off, and illegal for us to take anything off, but didn't know there was a law that says they have to void our waranties if our trucks came in with stuff missin.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Starting from the bottom, where the S**t runs to. A technician can get fined $10,000 by violating EPA regulations , which would for the sake of this discussion be considered Law. This could include something as simple as putting a bb in a vacuum line. The Shop owner or dealer can share in the same fine even if he/she was not an active participant. Do you really think without being a law student that such regulations do not go up the food chain for the mfgr to condone and not take a stand in defence to the heavy hand of the government. The mfgr indemnifies the dealer if he follows all mfgr policy & procedure & state & local laws & regulations. I don't think it's necessary for me to "Proove it" to you to be quite sure the statement is accurate. The "Law" requires the mfgr & it's dealers to maintain the systems as they are designed , or be prohibited from selling the product. Voiding your warranty is inclusive in the above. The mfgr does not go on a witch hunt like some here have suggested "Spies surfing the web". But when you guys start playing Philadelphia Lawyers and boldly insist that you want your warranty work for free regardless of how much you have reverse engineerd the vehicle, then your gonna get what you asked for.
I got more but i'm not really looking for a P****ng match with you either. Most warranties are restricted when someone does something stupid. From my experience, most service managers will tell you where the line is long before a restriction takes place.
Charlie

R

·
0 Posts
Starting from the bottom, where the S**t runs to. A technician can get fined $10,000 by violating EPA regulations , which would for the sake of this discussion be considered Law. This could include something as simple as putting a bb in a vacuum line. The Shop owner or dealer can share in the same fine even if he/she was not an active participant. Do you really think without being a law student that such regulations do not go up the food chain for the mfgr to condone and not take a stand in defence to the heavy hand of the government. The mfgr indemnifies the dealer if he follows all mfgr policy & procedure & state & local laws & regulations. I don't think it's necessary for me to "Proove it" to you to be quite sure the statement is accurate. The "Law" requires the mfgr & it's dealers to maintain the systems as they are designed , or be prohibited from selling the product. Voiding your warranty is inclusive in the above. The mfgr does not go on a witch hunt like some here have suggested "Spies surfing the web". But when you guys start playing Philadelphia Lawyers and boldly insist that you want your warranty work for free regardless of how much you have reverse engineerd the vehicle, then your gonna get what you asked for.
I got more but i'm not really looking for a P****ng match with you either. Most warranties are restricted when someone does something stupid. From my experience, most service managers will tell you where the line is long before a restriction takes place.
Charlie
:shock:Whoa Charlie. Wasn't looking for a match with you. Just curious about the law you talk of???:confused013: I was just asking, that's all. Sorry I struck a nerve with you. Good information though.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi / NP , sorry if I got off on a tangent. Doesn't help to be reffered as a "Stealer" all day long, although everybody has a right to their feelings.

Here in the Northeast we have had the EPA gun to our head for over 20 years. And the mfgr is quite happy to come into a dealership, audit their workorders and proceed to take back ALL the money from warranty repairs if they are not compliant with factory policy. I personally have witnessed 2 audits that have netted take-backs from the dealers account of $100,000 & $150,000 respectively. So something as simple as a technician writing on a workorder in his notes DPF missing, the dealer can get charged back for ALL the warranty claims on that vehicle , even without restricting the warranty.

I can be verbose at times , don't always subscribe to KISS method, lol.Thanks for the clarification.
Charlie

R

·
0 Posts
Hi / NP , sorry if I got off on a tangent. Doesn't help to be reffered as a "Stealer" all day long, although everybody has a right to their feelings.

Here in the Northeast we have had the EPA gun to our head for over 20 years. And the mfgr is quite happy to come into a dealership, audit their workorders and proceed to take back ALL the money from warranty repairs if they are not compliant with factory policy. I personally have witnessed 2 audits that have netted take-backs from the dealers account of $100,000 & $150,000 respectively. So something as simple as a technician writing on a workorder in his notes DPF missing, the dealer can get charged back for ALL the warranty claims on that vehicle , even without restricting the warranty.

I can be verbose at times , don't always subscribe to KISS method, lol.Thanks for the clarification.
Charlie
It's cool man. I reread my original question and could see maybe where you were coming from. Sometimes what I type don't come out as what's in my head at the time I'm typing.:hehe:
:beer::beer:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks co6.7 . Did you use an attourney or did you go through D/C ? Also what problems did you have with your truck and how long did it take to get results ? My truck is an 07 6.7 auto w/410's and its been in the shop 12 times for emisions related problems over 22k miles.I'm almost a year into the legal mess of dealing with D/C and an attourney that wants me to settle for very little money over a very expensive truck. It is very frustrating. I f you have any advice or input it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
thanks co6.7 . Did you use an attourney or did you go through D/C ? Also what problems did you have with your truck and how long did it take to get results ? My truck is an 07 6.7 auto w/410's and its been in the shop 12 times for emisions related problems over 22k miles.I'm almost a year into the legal mess of dealing with D/C and an attourney that wants me to settle for very little money over a very expensive truck. It is very frustrating. I f you have any advice or input it would be appreciated.
No problem at all - I'd be happy to explain.

I had issues with EGR codes, it would come on every couple weeks and I'd have to take it to the dealer to get it cleared. Not only was this a nuisance, but it was failing to comply with its intended design.

I used a lemon law attorney. It took about 5 months from the time the lawyer sent the letter until I received my settlement. Chrysler played hardball for a while, at first offering very little money. After another two trips to the dealer to clear the code, they finally settled.

But it took me telling them I wanted to go to court - because there was NO WAY I was going to settle for what they offered. It was a complete joke.

I ended up with a fair settlement. But it did take a while and I had to play hardball towards the end to get - what I felt - was fair.

If you want to PM, feel free to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just curious?

No problem at all - I'd be happy to explain.

I had issues with EGR codes, it would come on every couple weeks and I'd have to take it to the dealer to get it cleared. Not only was this a nuisance, but it was failing to comply with its intended design.

I used a lemon law attorney. It took about 5 months from the time the lawyer sent the letter until I received my settlement. Chrysler played hardball for a while, at first offering very little money. After another two trips to the dealer to clear the code, they finally settled.

But it took me telling them I wanted to go to court - because there was NO WAY I was going to settle for what they offered. It was a complete joke.

I ended up with a fair settlement. But it did take a while and I had to play hardball towards the end to get - what I felt - was fair.

If you want to PM, feel free to.
You have some significant mods on the rig in your signature. Did you have the same ones on the "buy back" or did you decide to have stuff "fall off" of the 2008 because of your experience with the previous EGR junk? If you won a settlement for EGR clogs with numerous mods, I am impressed - just curious and congrats:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
You have some significant mods on the rig in your signature. Did you have the same ones on the "buy back" or did you decide to have stuff "fall off" of the 2008 because of your experience with the previous EGR junk? If you won a settlement for EGR clogs with numerous mods, I am impressed - just curious and congrats:thumbsup:
It was 100% stock during the settlement. After it was settled, the stuff decided to fall off.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I settled in December. The engine was bone stock.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts