Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems everyone I know with a newer truck has a performance tuner on it.. Not talking about hardware changes, deletes, etc, assuming HW and tune is completely "stock" when you actually brought it in.. I understand on newer trucks if the dealer wants to look hard enough they will find a footprint, and I've certainly heard plenty of what could happen tales - I was just curious of actual experiences (if any)

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Been accused of it when I had my F250, service manager said he could tell it had had something plugged into the OBDII port.
I told him it sure had had something plugged into it, it had a scan tool plugged into it.
It hadn't been tuned and the tech confirmed it and the service manager didn't give me any more grief.

It will also depend on what you are bringing the truck in for as to whether they question you about it, if the reason you bring it in doesn't have anything to do with the powertrain/emissions, then they probably wouldn't ask.
Just make sure that if it is tuned, you either put it back to stock before taking it to the dealer or make sure they don't try and flash the ecm on top of your tuning, because that can sure screw it up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
When I had issues I called a couple dealers trying to get it and the first question I was asked was “is the truck deleted or tuned?”. It was completely stock so there was no issue, but I’m guessing that had it been tuned they would’ve quickly denied the warranty to replace injectors.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
When i broke my transmission at 14,700 on a past 14 they dug and dug trying to blame tuning. But, it was stock. They also dug on a past 12 LML duramax blaming a tune when there was not one. I was surprised what they could see and the manufacturer wanted screen shots of what was found so the dealer couldn’t lie about a truck being deleted to get to do the work.
They can look at flash count, maximum horse power and torque ran through the transmission, regeneration count related to miles, on and on. There is no way to hide a tune of any kind. There is no such thing as stealth in relation to dealer level and manufacturer level scan tools when trying to avoid an expensive repair . And, honestly they should not have to. The truck is designed to be used stock. Alter that and they should not have to fix what a guy does to his own truck.

·
Registered
610 Posts
All warranty work involves grief of some kind.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
667 Posts
There should be a credit when buying new to remove the warranty option

·
Registered
759 Posts
All warranty work involves grief of some kind.
I had a rear axle seal go bad under warranty. No “grief” at all. Dealer was great!

Reactions: Drle

·
Registered
263 Posts
Funny, so far not one claim of a tuned truck being denied warranty work, just stories of allegations of trucks being tuned that were not actually tuned and attempts not to honor. In my experience dealers love warranty work because it gets paid 100% of the time and can be expensive. They just need to make sure when the manufacturer audits their work that they did everything correctly or else the warranty can be denied and they eat the cost. Remember, the dealer ultimately answers to the manufacturer. The dealer has hoops to jump through.

My opinion is if the tune might possibly have caused or contributed to the warranty problem then there is logic here but if your power window quit or your radio won’t turn on then they likely won’t check or care.

I certainly don’t want to be the ethics police but if you add 100 to 200 hp to your truck and you destroy your 68RFE then why should that be the manufacturer’s problem? Maybe you return it to stock and get lucky and they fix the issue but someone has to pay for that in the end and if not you then should it be the next buyer who has to pay more for his new truck because FCA is losing money by covering more warranty repairs that are not really their fault?

And I know this was not the OP’s question either but just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yreka20

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
What if you add 0 (zero) HP to your truck and they deny warranty?

The Dealers are under pressure from the OEM who is under pressure from the EPA to deny these warranty claims.

Oh, and you think the OEM does its own thing? You should ask the Number One (Number two overall) car seller on the Planet about that.

The EPA is a rogue bureaucracy that needs to be exterminated. Terminate every single employee, top to bottom

Then maybe we can start over with a sensible organization that isn't loaded with idiots and anti-captitalist activists

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I had a Smarty on my '07 which I returned to stock for 100 miles.
I had to have a K08 California emissions update.
They fried the ECM and the tech asked me if there'd been a programmer on it. I asked the tech if the scanner showed anything and he smiled and winked. So much for undetectability. You pay to play.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
When i broke my transmission at 14,700 on a past 14 they dug and dug trying to blame tuning. But, it was stock.
I had a similar transmission failure I think mine was at 28k transmission disintegrated. I did not have any issue with them. I am sure they looked for a tune but never said anything to me. Entire transmission was replaced. My truck is stock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts