Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hardwire my power (charger) cord for my GPS instead of plugging it into the 12v acessory outlet. Can this be done? I would thing I could just cut off the plug and splice it into the back of the outlet, or fuse box. I have never cut one of these cords so is this possible?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
The head of the charger cord might step the voltage down a bit - mine drops it to 4.5 volts and also has a small fuse in it, there shouldn't be any problem taking the head apart and splicing that in behind the dash.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check on the GPS, somewhere it will say the imput voltage, if it says 12 or 14 then your ok to cut.

Most likely its not straight 12/14, there will be a step down with some type of fuse in the plug head.

Your best bet is to go to the parts house or the geekshack and get a hard wire cig-lighter outlet, hard wire that in and tie-wrap it all up behind your dash.
Sounds somewhat ghetto rigged but it works well and only you'll know its there.

(Also, you migh check, sometimes they offer a hardwire kit with a little box inline, although thats no different than the above.)

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
You could always get spiffy and get a little transformer for it too

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I mounted a 12v receptical under the dash so it's hiddened from view for the sat radio power adapter.

MikeyB

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have an older Garmin unit and radio shack sold a replacement cable specifically meant for this. Otherwise if it isn't 12v, then I'd agree with the rest and get a hardwire cigarette lighter plug and mount it under the steering column.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts