Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Hard time starting... HELP!!!!

1459 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  dsniper22
I Have A 99, it is having a hard time starting, I replaced the fuel filter and lift pump Saturday and it is still doing it. If i unplug the lift pump it starts right up. It Also seems like i am gaining oil. any suggestions?
Thanks Corey
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
Hummmm! A little more info! May be a good ideal to have oil analysised. See if getting fuel in oil. The LP and filter replace should not normally get you into diluted oil by fuel. The main places for fuel into oil is from injector over fueling. It runs rough and give white smoke.
Park downhill and report if long crank time decreases.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I parked it down hill for 30 min or more and it still had a hard time starting. There is no white smoke, it doesnt run rough either. Once it starts it runs fine, it just takes alot of cranking to start. The other day I let my sister drive it and when she got back I noticed that it was blowing smoke out of the Blow-By? IDK if it is supposed to do that? I checked the Temp and it was normal. The Fuel Pressure is around 13 or 14 when i bump the starter. No codes. I went and bought o-rings and brass seals for the injectors i am going to change them this weekend but would that make it hard to start?

· Registered
1,207 Posts
see if the oil is overful, then its most likely injector orings

· Registered
2003 Ram 2500 CCLB NV5600 4wd
225 Posts
Sounds like you have the same problem I had. After changing my fuel filter I found out my LP was shot. I put a new LP on and it had trouble starting sometimes, almost like it was loosing prime. It would start right up first thing in the morning but even after a short drive it would crank for a while before it would fire. After asking alot of questions I got an answer. When my LP was going bad and low on fuel pressure it caused the diaphram in the VP to strech and when I replaced the LP the added fuel pressure on the streched diaphram probably caused it to crack or split. The reason I say it sounds like you have the same problem I had is that you said your truck starts fine with the LP unplugged. Several people told me I could wire my ground wire to a N/O oil pressure switch so that the LP would not run untill the oil pressure switch made contact. I ended up running my power wire to my power window circuit. That way while I cranked the truck the LP would be off but as soon as it started the LP would have power. One guy said he has ran his truck for 40,000 miles this way. I am going to go ahead and replace my VP just so I won't have to worry about it failing on me while on a trip. I do sometimes get a dead pedal also so that is another reason for going ahead and replacing the VP.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I Changed My Oil About 2,000 Miles Ago. I checked It Today, It Started In The Middle Of The " Safe" Zone And Now it Is To The Full Line So I Am Gaining Oil. It Drips Off Of The Dipstick When i Pull It Out Too So I Am Thinking The Injector O-Rings. Why Does That Make It So Hard To Start Though? I Don't Understand Why When I Unplug The LP It Starts Right Up.

· Registered
424 Posts
I'm trying to remember threads from quite a while ago, so please someone verify these statements for me. I've heard that sometimes a fresh LP will put too much pressure on a weak VP for initial cranking and firing becomes an issue. I believe that some or all LPs have a delay so as not to create pressure to soon and make it harder for the VP to fire things up. My apologies if this isn't entirely accurate. I'm sure that there is a more accurate thread on this if you do a search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.