Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 12v cummins. About a week and a half ago it wouldn't start and after taking it to my mechanic, it was determined that it was my fuel shutoff solenoid (if I remember correctly). It started fine during the day after I picked it up (it was about 65 degrees that day), but later that night once the temperature started to drop, it began to struggle to start and this was Thursday this past week . Since then, it has started and hasn't left me stranded, but it really struggles to start and sometimes I am cranking it on and off for a couple minutes before it fires (it doesn't even try to fire the other times I'm engaging the starter). It has also not been warmer than 45 degrees since then. After getting underneath the truck today, I noticed that it appears my Fuel Tank Filler Neck rusted through at one point, but was covered up with a stop-leak or something. I determined there was a leak here after filling up and noticing the fuel dripping off it as I'm filling it up. Can a leak at the Fuel Tank Filler Neck be causing my truck to have the difficulty starting that it is having? My thinking was that I'm losing all the pressure in my tank while it sits and as a result is causing the problem. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It took me 15-20 minutes to start this morning. Once I got to work it sat for 6 hours (high temp was 60 today). Once I got off work I went to start the truck and it wouldn't fire after the first try. However, it did fire on the second try and i drove it home. It sat for 1 hour and when I went out it fired on the first try. Then it sat for 3 more hours and fired on the first try. I have no idea what it might be... :confused013:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Asd

OK, I'st, is your ASD lifting? :confused013: If the solenoid is not lifting, then you are not getting fuel to the high pressure pump.

If the Solenoid is not lifting it could be caused by the solenoid itself or the relay that controls it.

Another possibility, you said your fuel tank filler is rusty.:shock: Maybe some rust or crud has gotten into your fuel lines.:spank:

·
Registered
61 Posts
How new is your battery, diesels are funny. If they dont spin fast enough they wont start easy, but when they crank fast itll start in half a crank. As said above I doubt your two two problems are related.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a bad solenoid and relay. Almost just left the solenoid though, kinda felt BA having to pop the hood every time and lift the plunger to start it, LOL :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.