Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Hard start when it's cold?

1648 20
I had it last year in the winter time started great. It has been like -5 to -30 with the windchill lately and when I have it plugged in even it will start up and then die, then I have to crank it for a little bit to get it going?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine starts it starts right up for a second then dies after a little cranking then it starts up

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Mine does the same thing but I don't plug it in ever. It usually takes three cranks or so and it'll finally start up when it is below freezing. Is your block heater working?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to say, I'm pretty sure it is, the wait to start goes off fast when it's plugged in

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mine's taking a couple seconds to crank, then will start and stumble for what sounds like one or two revolutions before coming to life, blowing a white cloud with a tinge of grey that turns blue until I start moving down the hill from where I park after high idling to 140*. My truck normally hazes for the first few minutes it's run, but the blue clouds happen below 20* or so.

When you go out to the truck in the morning does the hood have ice on it? My block heater will keep the hood clear. Also, check the operation of your grid heaters, they like to go out every once in a while and will make cold starts tough.

·
Rescue Tower
11,012 Posts
Mine starts it starts right up for a second then dies after a little cranking then it starts up
What is your fuel pressure when this happens? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Your situation sounds a lot like your fuel is clouding up and having issues getting past the fuel filter. If your pressure gauge is mounted after the filter you should be able to see that. An old filter that is in need of replacement exacerbates this problem.

·
Rescue Tower
11,012 Posts
It acts like the batterys are low, had them checked and they say they are good . Put on charger a few minutes the cranks right up. Changed the battery clamps and the same thing happened. Only when cold.
Your issue is different from the OP's and really should be in a separate thread. If the batteries were not tested separate you got a false reading. If your batteries do not meet the minimum CCA the test wouldn't matter. If your gird heaters are not operating you may have cold start issues as well. I start without grids at temps in the teens and twenty's with nothing more than slightly longer crank times. However I have correct batteries that are up to the task. Crank speed is critical.

Reactions: dadkowash

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is your fuel pressure when this happens? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Your situation sounds a lot like your fuel is clouding up and having issues getting past the fuel filter. If your pressure gauge is mounted after the filter you should be able to see that. An old filter that is in need of replacement exacerbates this problem.

Fresh fuel filter, always had good fuel pressure, ya I didn't have any anti gels in. In the wintertime my truck always has a considerable less amount of power any ideas? When it's summer time it has good power

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had it last year in the winter time started great. It has been like -5 to -30 with the windchill lately and when I have it plugged in even it will start up and then die, then I have to crank it for a little bit to get it going?
This happened to me last year and it ended up being a small fuel leak.. it starts up.. runs for a few seconds until the "air" makes it to the injectors then dies. Cranking it for awhile pushes the air through the system and lets it start up again. Here was my thread about it.. I posted a video in post #8:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...alling-few-seconds-after-starting-engine.html

·
Rescue Tower
11,012 Posts
Fresh fuel filter, always had good fuel pressure, ya I didn't have any anti gels in. In the wintertime my truck always has a considerable less amount of power any ideas? When it's summer time it has good power
If you maintain any fuel pressure (say >5 psi at idle) I would expect it to run at idle and not stall out. An air leak in the system sounds likley. Probably in the fuel filter asy as that is just enough run time to push that air from the filter asy to the IP when it stalls. Fuel filter heater element is known to leak.

Loss of power has been determined to be related to two things.

1. Combustion chamber temps are to low (first start and say first 20 miles)
2. VP-44 fuel maps altered based on IAT (intake air temperature) Tossing a resistor in the IAT plug will prove this theory to you, however it will disable grid heaters on startup.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you maintain any fuel pressure (say >5 psi at idle) I would expect it to run at idle and not stall out. An air leak in the system sounds likley. Probably in the fuel filter asy as that is just enough run time to push that air from the filter asy to the IP when it stalls. Fuel filter heater element is known to leak.

Loss of power has been determined to be related to two things.

1. Combustion chamber temps are to low (first start and say first 20 miles)
2. VP-44 fuel maps altered based on IAT (intake air temperature) Tossing a resistor in the IAT plug will prove this theory to you, however it will disable grid heaters on startup.

I still have low power 70 miles down the road, but it was extremely cold probably -25 to -35 below zero with the wind chill, will the fuel maps always be like this in winter? Where should I check for leaks?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sounds like you need a winter front and an IAT fooler switch. I'm not sure if the iat fooler is available from any of our vendors yet, might still be a DIY type of thing, in which case moparman's site has the best info on the subject.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a big peice of card board as a winter front, coolant temp is plenty high going down the road in well below zero weather, I'm just worried about the start up and dying dilemma

·
Registered
25,069 Posts
Sounds like fuel issue, Jelling, water, or air leaking into lines. Plugging in warms water in block not fuel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a big peice of card board as a winter front, coolant temp is plenty high going down the road in well below zero weather, I'm just worried about the start up and dying dilemma
Did you see my reply above about the fuel leak/air in the lines?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.