Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 24v. This whole issue started last week. Start stall then 15 cranks to start. Now it takes like 30 to start. Once its started its fine. Its only if you leave it over night. I installed the mopar intank lift pump 20k ago and i just changed the fuel filter to rule that out. I'm thinking possible transfer tube o-rings or injection pump. Any input would be great

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the intank lift pump so i cant check fuel pressure. Its read by volume, i have fuel in the bowl.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
That is most likely your problem......

take a liquid filled gauge with a schrader valve and check pressure at the filter housing.....

You will be suprised at the results

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think im gunna get the airdog system, i sick of bad mopar lift pumps. i went threw 2 of the carter ones by the motor so i switched to the intank thinking i would be trouble free WRONG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've realized that if i park the truck facing down hill is start a hell of a lot easier than up hil, if its up hill it takes 20-30 cranks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
its not primed

sounds to me like its loosing its prime - loose fitting, chaffed hose, pinched or cut o-ring, bad check valve (if there is one) or something like that. The fuel is draining back to the tank, thats why it helps to park face down - keeps some fuel to it. Put a gauge on it and crank for about 12 sec. and see what happens

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i ordered a new check valve. Its up at the injection pump, it holds the return line to the injection pump. lets see if it works

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
Get yourself a fuel pressure guage. You need it! It is the most vital guage for a 2nd gen!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have the intank lift pump, it wont read accuratly
I might end up getting the airdog system then it will be useful,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts