Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was leaving on a 2week vacation and at the start of the trip my clutch got hard to push. There was a strong vibration and it wouldn't release. When I stoped it couldn't go in gear with out shutting the truck off and then it wanted to take off. I called a local dealership and took it in but on the way there it "fixed" its self and they couldn't find a problem, clutch fluid was fine . It was a long trip down south (6000km) and it worked fine ever since.I took the smarty out before going to the dealer and ran the trip towing my 9000lb 5'er on the stock power. Any ideas on what might of happened? Did i break a spring in the clutch disk, or dual mass fly wheel. Or maybe a hydraulic problem with the slave cylinder. I was running sw5 on the smarty, maybe too much for stock clutch and 9000lbs? Has this happened to anybody else?

·
Registered
493 Posts
mine does it all the time if i turn turn my predator up or get on it with a load. someone told me on here it has something to do with the dual mass flywheel.

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,249 Posts
I was leaving on a 2week vacation and at the start of the trip my clutch got hard to push. There was a strong vibration and it wouldn't release. When I stoped it couldn't go in gear with out shutting the truck off and then it wanted to take off. I called a local dealership and took it in but on the way there it "fixed" its self and they couldn't find a problem, clutch fluid was fine . It was a long trip down south (6000km) and it worked fine ever since.I took the smarty out before going to the dealer and ran the trip towing my 9000lb 5'er on the stock power. Any ideas on what might of happened? Did i break a spring in the clutch disk, or dual mass fly wheel. Or maybe a hydraulic problem with the slave cylinder. I was running sw5 on the smarty, maybe too much for stock clutch and 9000lbs? Has this happened to anybody else?
could be a slave cylinder problem, or the dual mass flywheel, usually when your break a spring in the disk, the it wont so much be a problem with the pedal or going in gear, as you just wont go anywhere, it will slip bad....

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
I've heard it described as the clutch "welding itself to the flywheel", where you getting into it hard just before it happened? My stocker did the same thing but not as bad as what you describe.

In short you're over-powering the stock clutch, either turn down the power or put a stronger one in.

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
it used to happend to me all the time when i over powered my stocker. what is happening is the dual mass flywheel tries to seperate putting pressure on the hydraulics. there is a valve in the stock hydros that makes the pedal very hard to push when this happens. push the pedal in three or four times and it will go back to normal until slipped hard again. it is time for you to step up to a stronger clutch.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My clutch went with 7k miles on it..everythign was stock. It just wouldnt go into any gear unless shut off and then when started in gear it the clutch was partially engaged. The dealer replaced the clutch/pressure plate and it never did it again. You couldnt see anything wrong with the clutch or pressure plate...so maybe what ROBERTP above said is true.

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
It makes sense about the DM thing, that's a weird flywheel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
it used to happend to me all the time when i over powered my stocker. what is happening is the dual mass flywheel tries to seperate putting pressure on the hydraulics. there is a valve in the stock hydros that makes the pedal very hard to push when this happens. push the pedal in three or four times and it will go back to normal until slipped hard again. it is time for you to step up to a stronger clutch.
The comp valve in the hydraulics closes only when you apply pressure at the pedal. Around 2mm to 3mm of pedal travel, will close the valve and seal the fluid from the M/C reservior off from the fluid in the clutch line. With the pedal released, the fluid "pushed" by the release fork (if the clutch is doing that, and I doubt it) would merely go into the reservior... the beauty of a hydraulic clutch. It's self compensating for clutch wear.

However, unique, the DMD clutch is self-adjusting, so the release fork is always in the same position and you, the customer, always has the same pedal pressure even if it's at the end of the life of the clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts