Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey yall, im new here just bought a 99 cummins 2500 ext cab long bed with 72k miles. The 47re BD trans was replaced about 20k miles ago with receipts. Has a 47re BD transmission and BD torque convertor not sure if theres more or not but I noticed driving it home it was hard shifting mostly from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 but only sometimes. Sometimes it shifts smooth. I noticed it happens alot.more frequently when its warm like 140-180 unloaded. Any help would be so appreciated. I plan to be pretty active here Nd excited to be a 2nd gen cummins owner. Sorry if there is important info missing if love to answer any questions.
Thanks.

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
Most likely they installed cheap electronics in the transmission. Repalce the Governor pressrue sensor and solenoid with a pair from Borg Warner or Dodge..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a way I can check that easily? I have an appt with a reputable trans shop on Thurs so I think I'll just pass on that info and see what they say. Thanks for the reply bud. Also is there a way to change my signature through my phone?

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
First take it in there when it is acting up. If you arfe not doing any of your own work, tell them to pull codes forthetrani. Governor pressrue sensor condtrols shifting 1-2-3 and dthe governor pressure solenoid is the switch that ressponds to the sensor. Bad sensors and solenoids is a common problem both after time and out of the box or shorftly there after. Sometimes it will show codes for a bad Governor pressure sensor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today driving home from work I turned off O/D and it seemed like it really helped make it drive like normal. Felt like I had alot more power and pull than I did before. Its almost like this weird issue kind of comes and goes. Possibly could be a weak ground? When im in Park all my lights like ceiling light, headlights, etc. Will flicker very fast and light. I wanna say I had a very similar problem before and it had something to do with a grounding issue. What do you think?

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
OD off locks out OD and allows lockup in third. So being in third(direcdt drive) and lockup it does have more power. I twill not lockup in third if OD is on on 98-00.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm ok...i was hoping it was gonna be simple like cleaning a ground contact haha. Ill see what they say thursday and hopefully bring an answer back here.

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
If you can deal wiht the mess it may be time to lear how to work on it. It is simple t osrop the pan and replace the sensors. All you need a a socket set and a couple of small torx drivers. Nothing to it and a couple of hours, We Can walk you through it and save you hundreds or thousnads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah I'm able to do that. I used to be a tech at a dodge dealership a few years back so I know the basics. I jist wasn't familiar with where the sensors and stuff are. I just did basic jobs there but I would be able to easily drop the pan and follow instruction if need be. I was jist planning on having them do a diagnostic of the issue and most likely fixing it myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If i added a Lucas trans fix in it that wouldn't hurt anything would it? Im not really expecting it to fix my problem just thought it might be good to add. Are those things good for the trans or do u advise on staying away from those things?

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
No no additives would be a positive at that low miles. That is for way later if clutches are worn near end to get you by.
Just drop pan and fluid, Big drain pan and rags.
drop filter.
Drop valve body
Replace sensor and solenoid. Replace wit new filter nad fulid i ffirst time. ATF+4( I use Walmart Supertech.
Reverse process, don't strip threads in aluminum
Maybe ad a drain plug in the back corner of pan to avoid mes next time you work on it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I say normal! A BD transmission is a performance unit with higher than stock line pressures and will shift much harder than stock. I would call BD about your concerns before doing anything to it. You can then relay what they say to your tranny guy.

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
You know he is right, isn't it still on warranty?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No. Its under the mileage but it was done 4 years ago...could it sitting for a couple years not really driven cause anything funny to happen maybe? Im hoping its jist normal but until I know for sure im jist gonna be paranoid.

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
How fast rpm/how much throttle do you give it taking off?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Earlier on the free way I was going 70 and it felt like there was a very slight jerk if you will just while cruising. Hard to explain but VERY slight jerk only when its in o/d. And the symptoms I describe geg alot more noticeable when the Temps are higher like 170-180 on a 95+ degree day in traffic. The shift seem harder and it seems like it doesn't want to stay in gear before shifting into O/D which makes it kind of bog just a little bit. I really apologize if this doesn't make any sense 😕

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It seems temperamental and when it drive what I call normal I can feel a difference in how the gas pedal feels. I dont gun it when taking off id say maaaybe 1/4 throttle most of the time. I think the first 2 shifts engage around 1800-2000 rpms i think. Sometimes it won't shift to 2nd till 2300+ and that's with me going very light throttle. It feels like it has a mind of its own thats for sure.

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
Any kind of a anomaly at 70 is not at all related to 1,2,3, shifting or the GPSensor or solenoid. Sounds maybe like the beginning of a lockup issue. If it starts doing it a lot any one day, unplug the alternator little two wire plug and see if it continues. Alsoc chekc thealt hot wire of AC over .03v AC with a good voltmeter with a 2v scale ac, not 20 or 200 v scale. Sounds like AC issues maybe. You can reduce heat in town by locking out OD and getting lockup in 3rd.

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
Now that does sound a lot like the sensor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm the beginning of a lock up...that sure as hell doesn't sound like a great time. What exactly would that entail anyways if that were to happen?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts