Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new cummins owner and a big fan of this forum. I have had a few discussions on fuel economy on this site and I am happy to report that I just made a 540 mile round trip to get grapes yesterday and got 15 mpg. On the trip over I pulled my 2500 lbs flat deck trailer with 3 empty fruit bins (wind resistance but no weight) and on the trip back I had 4 bins with around 4700 lbs of weight on the trailer. On the trip over I did a nice job of keeping my speeds down for the sake of fuel economy but on the way back I was delayed by a late pick and ended up stuck in seattle traffic. When I wasn't in traffic I pushed it hard....and still got 15 mpg. I am a happy boy.

·
Vendor
1,673 Posts
I am a new cummins owner and a big fan of this forum. I have had a few discussions on fuel economy on this site and I am happy to report that I just made a 540 mile round trip to get grapes yesterday and got 15 mpg. On the trip over I pulled my 2500 lbs flat deck trailer with 3 empty fruit bins (wind resistance but no weight) and on the trip back I had 4 bins with around 4700 lbs of weight on the trailer. On the trip over I did a nice job of keeping my speeds down for the sake of fuel economy but on the way back I was delayed by a late pick and ended up stuck in seattle traffic. When I wasn't in traffic I pushed it hard....and still got 15 mpg. I am a happy boy.
Not half bad for what you were haulin.

thats not that great, i'm getting about 33mile to a gallon
No.. You don't.....:buttkick:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
No.. You don't.....:buttkick:
LOL- I think you meant to say 33KPG, or ~20MPG. Short of some max-mileage experimental vehicle, no run of the mill CTD light duty truck gets 33MPG...

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
Alan96 has learned good lesson on milage.
The reported 33 MPG proved to be something close to 20 as others figured out. Canadian Math is much different than US.
Wind resistance is BIG factor in milage as proven.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i get over a thousand k's a tank and at 1.22 a ltr it cost around 140 bucks to fill up. do the math.
LOL this is what i meant to says:doh::banghead:
Amazing how: 1. Quickly you jacked my thread. 2. You don't know how to do math. 3. You didn't contribute anything of value to the discussion.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
i got a hand calculated 22.6 on the highway with the mods in my sig, and i got 21 pulling my buddies vw diesel about 3000lbs and it was too easy

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I would like to ask if you got a weight slip with that load I'm curious of what the GCW was. But your right there with my 13-14 MPG I'm getting with my travel trailer. :thumbsup:

As you can see the ol' right foot can make or break a MPG number...

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Amazing how: 1. Quickly you jacked my thread. 2. You don't know how to do math. 3. You didn't contribute anything of value to the discussion.
Funny! Back to the real world...

Alan- Those are pretty good actual numbers. Well done! You should kick back with a glass of wine. You hauled enough grapes to squeeze yourself at least one, yes? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would like to ask if you got a weight slip with that load I'm curious of what the GCW was. But your right there with my 13-14 MPG I'm getting with my travel trailer. :thumbsup:

As you can see the ol' right foot can make or break a MPG number...
What is GCW? If you mean the actual weight of the fruit then yes. We pay the vineyards by the pound so you can be sure we know the weight before leaving the site. I had right at 4400 lbs of fruit and 500 lbs of bins on a 2500 lbs trailer for a total of 7400. I am not exactly sure what my trailer weighs but I will definitely weigh it one of these days.

Funny! Back to the real world...

Alan- Those are pretty good actual numbers. Well done! You should kick back with a glass of wine. You hauled enough grapes to squeeze yourself at least one, yes? :thumbsup:
Funny thing, when working in the winery I usualy prefer beer. There is an overused saying that it takes a lot of beer to make great wine. Crush, the term that applied to harvest & all the work that goes along with processing the grapes, is a lot of long days and hard work and I personaly love an ice cold beer during and after a long hard day of physical work.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Disclaimer: I am trusting my truck's trip meter for mileage per fill up. I suppose I ought to double check that with google maps or some other independent method for calculating actual distance traveled. I think I have close to stock, if not stock, sized tires so the trip meter should be pretty close. What do the rest of you do to calculate your actual mileage driven?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
GCW- Gross Combined Weight. Quick way to determine your GCW dry weight is to go to the dump with your trailer and get a total on their scales. The trip computer is notoriously inaccurate. Hand calculation is the only way to be sure...

Glad you were able to kick back with an ice cold beer. Running a vineyard, I don't doubt wanting to shy away from wine every now and then. Sounds like a well earned day.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I just reset my trip odometer everytime I fill up and then divide that by the number of gallons it took to fill my tank up. I do that every time I fill up and keep a little log to see how I'm doing. Got 21.4 MPG on a 415 mile trip to PA last weekend. That was with the Edge on 1x1 and the Smarty on SW4. Still playing around with both of them. Trying to get into the 22 area. That's empty, no trailer, by the way.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GCW- Gross Combined Weight. Quick way to determine your GCW dry weight is to go to the dump with your trailer and get a total on their scales. The trip computer is notoriously inaccurate. Hand calculation is the only way to be sure...

Glad you were able to kick back with an ice cold beer. Running a vineyard, I don't doubt wanting to shy away from wine every now and then. Sounds like a well earned day.
So gross combined weight is the truck & trailer empty?

How do you "hand calculate" your distance traveled?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just reset my trip odometer everytime I fill up and then divide that by the number of gallons it took to fill my tank up. I do that every time I fill up and keep a little log to see how I'm doing. Got 21.4 MPG on a 415 mile trip to PA last weekend. That was with the Edge on 1x1 and the Smarty on SW4. Still playing around with both of them. Trying to get into the 22 area. That's empty, no trailer, by the way.
That is what I have been doing but I gather the trip odometer is not overly accurate. I have yet to drive any significant distance empty so I have not been able to find out what I get unloaded.

Next week I will be headed over empty with no trailer and coming back with around 1600 lbs of juice in a tank in the truck bed. I am looking forward to the mpg's on that trip.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts