Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what the hell is going on here but this is getting to be an expensive pain in the arse!!!

Just nuked my 3rd hanger bearing this winter, not sure what the problem is. Using genuine spicer assembly (super f'n expensive too, but they are the only ones that have the proper one for this oddball truck)

What seems to be happening is the bearing seizes up, spins in the rubber and pops out... Whats funny is that it always seems to happen when im out ripping down the lake. So im thinking quite a few possibilities, maybe the snow gets in the bearing and freezes up, maybe the shafts slip joint gets snow/moisture in it and when i get some wheel hop it pops the bearing out.... Or maybe the damn bearings dont have any grease in them and are just burning up!

this sucks, ive never had anything like this on any of my other trucks before and its getting to be a royal PITA!!!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
"Whats funny is that it always seems to happen when im out ripping down the lake."

From that statement right there I would guess the drive shaft is bent or has come out of balance and the vibration from the off roading and the damaged shaft it just tearing the bearings up.

·
Premium Member
16,221 Posts
Ford finally gave up on a two piece driveshaft with hanger bearing.
Powerstoke torque was always tearing them up.
They went to a heavy one piece shaft, maybe you should too since it sounds like yours is bent.
That's what I like about my regular cab rigs, they have a one piece driveshaft.

·
SNAFU
3,369 Posts
On the newer 3rd gen they have done away with the carrier bearing, you can get them from the factory with a one piece driveshaft, even the crewcab longbeds, I know you have a 2nd gen but you might look into getting a one piece or having one made.

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
might have to look into a one piece shaft...

Dont think my shaft is bent though, i have it on the highway all the time and their is absolutely no driveline vibration at all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts