Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about going from 3rd gen to a 12 valve, and I know I cant expect the same handling but how do you 12 valve guys that I have driven a 3rd gen feel about the way your truck handles?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Why would we ever want to drive a 3rd gen? :confused013:

More seriously, this is the kind of question to ask in the 3rd gen section. I am sure there are many there who moved up from the older trucks and can explain the advantages and disadvantages of both.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ride is similar but the 3rd gens are all around more plush, not as "jarring" over expansion cracks and potholes etc.

Handling seems to be similar edge to the 3rd, as it should be.

All around its a 3/4-1 ton truck with a solid axle. Not much to be expected.

Havent driven a 3rd gen 2wd. I'm sure they drive like a dream.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
The frames are the same from 1994 to 2002. They changed to rear disc brakes sometime around 2001. While the front ends changed a little bit I think that was mostly related to the brakes. The springs were the same as far as I can tell. I do not think your 02 would ride any differently than a 1995 would. There would be a few pounds of difference but not any suspension changes that should affect handling characteristics in a real way.

My truck is a dually. It rides a bit stiff. Driving over speed bumps with much speed can be an UPlifting experience. Honestly, the ride is not that bad. I actually like the ride in comparison to my grand marquis. It is a bit stiffer since I replaced 116k mile shocks with new KYB ones. Probably because the original shocks were badly worn.

I never felt myself cringe when I hit a pothole except when I was thinking about my expensive alignment. I thought it would ride a lot stiffer than it does.

·
Cummins Nut
1,531 Posts
If you keep the air pressure down in the tires, your ride is a lot better. I typically tow so I keep my rear tires at 70 psi, but now that work is slow and I don't tow as often, I lowered the rear tire pressures to 50 psi and it rides a lot better over RR tracks and bumps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I run full air pressure 24/7. Ride BLOWS but tires aint cheap anymore.

High pressures increase tire life 10 fold. Learned that years ago as a tire b****.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts