Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Mitch from Kellerton, Iowa- I'm a 25yr old Tech at a Barker Implement John Deere store in Leon, Iowa. I previously worked at KW mid Iowa in Des Moines. I farm with old Allis Chalmers' and raise 2 girls (and another due in may) with my wife of nearly 5 years.

My truck was my dad's since 2000 and has been driven a few too many winters in the salt with a plow hanging on the front bumper and drug a few too many pieces of farm machinery around. I got it as a package deal with a camper since ma and pa upgraded to an 09 quad cab longbox and a 5th wheel.

The old girl has gotten us around for many years- rode in the back deer hunting, got me to prom, homecoming. overall it has been a good truck. And the way the ol-lady and I keep expanding the herd I needed to step out of a regular cab, so I bought it for 5g's from pops.

The bad news- I broke an axle in high school and the cad hasn't worked right since (she's locked in and has a little shake goin down the road), she's due for ball joints, u-joints tie rod ends, steering gear, swaybar links (front and rear), springs (front and rear), batteries, doors, windshield, bodywork, the front bumper bashed a deer, fuel lines, Just about anything that could rust already has, and god knows what will break in the process.

My dad is pretty handy----- but he's a farmer----- and a truck driver- sooo if you can fix it right, you can find a half a** will work for a while fix that is gonna cost your son more in the end, fix. :spank:

She runs good, shifts smooth, pulls like a champ, it's the rest of the truck that is takin a sh*t, but it's got the power and fuel mileage so I can make it happen :thumbsup:

I've absorbed a lot of knowledge from this site already- hopefully ya'll keep er comin-

Thanks and hope to meet you soon.

·
Registered
376 Posts
good luck with the rig! its nice to have a family tie to something like that. reg maitnence and take care of her, she will do the same to you! enjoy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't judge me- I'm just that poor!

plowing recently I noticed a racket in 4wd. I shook joints and give it a once over a time or two and couldn't find anything wrong- felt like it was in the transfer case :buttkick:, Well I went deer hunting for rifle season last sunday and the "racket" turned into a smurf with an 8lb maul beating on the drivers floorboard. I crawled under and found my double cardan junked- no big deal. I finished hunting and took the shaft out that night and pulled it apart when I finally had time on Tues and YUP it's trashed- both the mounting flange w/ socket and the end on the shaft were junk.

I checked with NAPA and found the yoke's to be plenty expensive- nope
I checked with certified powertrain in big "D" and it was "between 170-300" to rebuild my shaft- NOPE
called junkyards and without driving to the moon and giving 150-nope
went to leon auto recycling and threw the old one on the bench and my man brought out a damn good lookin shaft out of a half ton- YUPPERS!

I knew it was too long but had to try anyway :thumbsup: NOPE

So then I built this nifty contraption and GOT ER DID, bolted it up and drove it home with only a few hours invested. $ooth as silk- no shake

This wasn't my first experience building a driveshaft, I've built plenty of PTO shafts- but they are idiot proof and low rpm. when I swapped auto for 4 spd in my 94 f150 and spin cut my driveshaft using a u-bolt, 2 toolbox wheels and mounting the grinder in a rotating vise and spinning the shaft by hand- This wasn't much of an improvement for results- just allowed me to be a little lazier in the process

as soon as I figure out why I can't get pictures I'll start the eye candy to assist the imagination.:banghead:

·
"MR. ESAFO TO YOU!!"
6,080 Posts
welcome aboard enjoy your stay. :thumbsup:

·
Marble Crusher
1,857 Posts
Welcome to the site sounds like you have a pretty good project ahead of you!

-Jordan-

·
On call 24/7
12,574 Posts
Welcome to the CF.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks boys-

Well nevermind the driveshaft thing, we are proceeding on to the next project

Popping in the front end=DIFF BEARINGS GONE=RING AND PINION TRASHED=

So now i'm in the market for a 3.54 gear for my front axle- dana 60.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts