Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

hair pulling

760 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Blue2003
my truck surges/misses at idle after warm up.....i have done EVERYTHING to try and find it....whatever it is, is making the amp guage fluctuate slightly and then it kicks the voltage regulator in, causing the governor to try and keep up.....had a bad battery, replaced it, cleaned all terminals, alternator checks good, charging 14.1 when running, batts say 12.6 when not running....acts like grid heater kicks on kinda, what determines when it reaches 66 degrees to shut grid heater off?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Horse Power JUNKIE
1,656 Posts
Have you tried pulling the grid heater relay?

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i looked all over for a grid heater relay......is it called something else? keep in mind im new to diesels all together, sorry if i sound stupid.....i am. i do know if i unhook the alternator, it runs perfect...so i know its somethin pullin on the charging system...

· Registered
2,385 Posts
Since your truck is an 02 do the key trick. On off on off then leave it on. If you have any codes they will read in your odometer. If you have any post them back up here. This may help us figure out what your problem is.:thumbsup:

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no codes...i do that every morning, hoping something will show up....i made one trip on purpose last nite to see if the coolant sensor by the thermostat was working, and to make sure a code would show up.....it did....cleared it with my scanner, and no codes now.

· Horse Power JUNKIE
1,656 Posts
So you unhooked the coolant sensor to get the code? The heater relay should be in a good size fuse panel that under a plastic cover. Its located inbetween the batt and mastercylinder right next to the fender.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yessir, unhooked coolant sensor to make it throw a code.....i know where yer talkin bout....i will look again, swear i never saw a grid heater relay.....prolly overlooked it tho....if i pull it and the truck runs right, will it likely be the iat sensor? or that relay? guess i can check the relay...

· Diesel Filled Veins!
5,772 Posts
The grid heater relays (two of them) are under the driver's side battery tray mounted on the fender NOT in a box. Trace the grid heater wire back. Only way to disconnect the relays for the grid heater is to disconnect it from the battery terminal or from the grid heater terminals (in the last case make sure to insulate the end with electrical tape so it doesn't short out under the hood). A lot of the time the grid heater relays will arc closed (even temporarily) and cause a loss in voltage in the system. The grid heaters consume aprox 90-100 amps each and your alternator is only capable of MAX 130 amps and even less at idle. I replaced my grid heater relays last fall, they come as a pair on a common bracket so only order one from Dodge if you are ordering. I also found them at a well stocked local parts store, but Dodge was $50 cheaper at $104 for the pair.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
The grid heater relays (two of them) are under the driver's side battery tray mounted on the fender NOT in a box. Trace the grid heater wire back. Only way to disconnect the relays for the grid heater is to disconnect it from the battery terminal or from the grid heater terminals (in the last case make sure to insulate the end with electrical tape so it doesn't short out under the hood). A lot of the time the grid heater relays will arc closed (even temporarily) and cause a loss in voltage in the system. The grid heaters consume aprox 90-100 amps each and your alternator is only capable of MAX 130 amps and even less at idle. I replaced my grid heater relays last fall, they come as a pair on a common bracket so only order one from Dodge if you are ordering. I also found them at a well stocked local parts store, but Dodge was $50 cheaper at $104 for the pair.
:agree2: that is where they are located.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.