Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bell flywheel housing cracked and a piece cracked out of the bell housing, so i pulled it all apart installed a used flywheel housing and welded the bell housing. Put it all back together. started the truck and it will not allow me to go into gear. with the t-case in 2h it wont allow me to. With the t-case in neutral i can go into gear. Shut the truck off with t-case in gear truck in gear and bumping the starter everything locks up. pulled the slave cylinder to make sure i reinstalled the clutch for and bearing-all seems ok. I hear no noise coming from the clutch with it running. slight noise change when clutch is engaged or disengaged.

took about a month to get the truck tore apart and back together. I wasnt in a big hurry. haha

whats going on??? could i have installed a disc wrong???

the clutch feels kind of funny engageing and disengaging the clutch.

could my hydro have went bad sitting in the cold for a month? fluid is good. no leaks.

to me it has to be the clutch not disengaing but why?

thanks in advance to all!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
You could of got air in the line going to the slave cylinder. Did you just take the slave off or did you take the line off of it?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could of got air in the line going to the slave cylinder. Did you just take the slave off or did you take the line off of it?
i pulled the whole slave out. took the 2 nuts off and pulled it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Why did the bell housing originally crack?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why did the bell housing originally crack?
to be honest im not sure. i drove it awhile befor i noticed it was cracked tho. everything was in working order when i pulled it into the garage to make the repairs.

my t-case blew it like 3 months ago and i think the caused the bolts to strip from the flywheel housing. like it shocked the whole drivetrain, because i only had a couple bolts were the threads were not screwed up in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It really does sound like you got air in it. Does the pedal seem normal? If you pump it several times does it make a difference?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the pedal feels kind of spongy, but it kind of felt that way before. pumping the pedal did seem to change how it felt but that might have been my leg getting tired haha

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ya that does happen. I would bled the system just to make sure there is no air in it. If your lucky you will have the slave with the bleeder screw if not it takes a while. Hope your leg is rested its pump 10 times hold to floor for a little bit then repeat. Just did it to my truck took forever.

·
Registered
599 Posts
With it being apart that long its possible the clutch may have been pushed in while the slave was off the tranny. Do you have any kids or anything that were playing around the truck that may have pushed the pedal?

I accidentally pushed mine in with the slave off the truck and the same thing happened. No leaks or anything.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With it beng apart that long its possible the clutch may have been pushed in while the slave was off the tranny. Do you have any kids or anything that were playing around the truck that may have pushed the peadl?

I accidently pushed mine in with the slave off the truck and the same thing happened. No leakes or anything.
no kids playing around the truck. its possible the pedal may have gotten bumped. do the south bend upgraded hydros have a screw?? i dont think i noticed one, but im probably wrong

·
Registered
799 Posts
These trucks come with a sealed hydraulic system. No bleed screw. Go here for a really good explanation of how to bleed the system. Also, did you pull off the shift fork when you separated it for welding?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These trucks come with a sealed hydraulic system. No bleed screw. Go here for a really good explanation of how to bleed the system. Also, did you pull off the shift fork when you separated it for welding?
thanks for the procedure. i did pull the fork and throwbearing when welding the bell housing.

is it possible i installed the disc's wrong???

·
Registered
599 Posts
I know there's a certain way the disks go in but I don't think it would keep the pressure plate from releasing.

You've been inside the thing and know there really isn't that many moving parts, as far as the clutch engagement/disengagement goes. It really sounds like your hydro's are shot to me. Especially with your pedal feeling spongy.

As for that bleeding procedure... I tried that with mine to absolutely no avail. I don't know if I messed it up but I mean it isn't rocket science, and it didn't work for me at all. Do you have a buddy with a similar truck you could switch hydro's with? Would take 15 min and you would know for sure.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put the disc's in so the hubs wouldnt hit anything. One side on the hub sticks out farther than the other. I should have been more careful when i pulled the pressure plate and disc's out to make sure i reinstalled them correctly.

The thing that gets me is how are my hyrdos worn out they worked fine when i parked the truck to make the repairs. I could see getting air in them. Its so frustrating.

And i might be able to find someone i can swap with. My one buddy has a 03 i think the hydros are the same, not sure though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok update!!!
pulled the slave cylinder out. jacked up the back tires, made sure parking brake was not applied, t-case in 2 high, trans in gear used a bottle jack to press on the clutch fork and can still not turn the rear tires!!!! to me this means its in the clutch

·
Registered
799 Posts
I know this is kinda old, but for the OP I want to know if you got it fixed. I also would like to know if this was a new DD install when you fixed the bell housing or was it in previously and now it's not. The reason I ask is yes if you installed the plates in the wrong direction it can cause a no release issue. Also I asked about the shift fork because it can be put on backwards, causing a no release issue. And lastly if it was a new DD you put in, did you remove the washer from behind the pivot ball? When I put in my new DD I failed to do that and couldn't get the clutch to disengage at all. Had to drop the tranny again to remove a 5 cent washer. :doh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts