Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I know many of us have read the horror stories of an injector sticking and filling the oil pan with diesel fuel. Here is one more...

I was wanting to send out my injectors to have them checked and Flux nozzles put on, but I couldn't have the truck down, so I decided to buy a slightly used set of injectors from someone on this forum (not going to mention names until he decides what he is going to do for me).

I had them installed I drove truck to work next day (10 mi round trip probably idled for 10 mins in morning and then again before I left work). Truck seemed to have a little less power. After work I went out to dinner (about 10 mi round trip). On the way home stopped at fuel station b/c gauge was dropping kinda quickly put fuel in it (idled 10 mins prob or less at fuel station). Truck started having a miss to it on way home from fuel station and a haze at idle. Once home I shut truck off and (had a feeling) checked dipstick way overfull.

Didn't drive truck at all after that, drained oil out of crankcase (got about 5-6 GALLONS!!!! compared to the normal 3 :banghead:). Had original injectors put back in and new oil change. Truck runs perfect, no noises, misses or anything, and good oil pressure. My question is do you think I hurt anything (bearings etc) in the engine running it a total of about 20-30 mi and run time of about 40-50 mins total, and the oil being THAT diluted with diesel?

Thanks in advance...

· Registered
1,191 Posts
I doubt you hurt it, if it were me I would change the oil again then do an oil analysis with a shortened OCI and see what the lab finds.

· Registered
224 Posts
You should be ok. As said, I would change it one more time if you really want to be on the safe side

· Registered
31 Posts
Fuel in oil

Did the same thing with a D-Max last year before I bought the CTD. Was over full about 3 Gals. After new injectors, changed oil and ran it like I stole it. Sold it to a youngster and he has put 7000 hard miles on it and has had no problems.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thats a good sign...

Ok I am starting to feel a little better guys, I appreciate the responses, I am super anal about everything being perfect on my vehicles.

Think the truck is cursed though as someone backed into it and just barely scratched my rear bumper, and when the injectors were being changed a wrench fell off the radiator and scratched the bumper cover all in the same week the injectors gave trouble.

Anyhow how long should I wait to change the oil again a week or two? I will have an analysis done as well. Thanks again

· Registered
224 Posts
Ok I am starting to feel a little better guys, I appreciate the responses, I am super anal about everything being perfect on my vehicles.

Think the truck is cursed though as someone backed into it and just barely scratched my rear bumper, and when the injectors were being changed a wrench fell off the radiator and scratched the bumper cover all in the same week the injectors gave trouble.

Anyhow how long should I wait to change the oil again a week or two? I will have an analysis done as well. Thanks again

I'd just run it a couple of days and drop it again, once you know your injectors aren't dribbling :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,191 Posts
I'd just run it a couple of days and drop it again, once you know your injectors aren't dribbling :thumbsup:

Yup, I wouldnt put alot of miles on it either. Ask your lab if they can do a quick turn on your analysis.

· Registered
768 Posts
I'm not a diesel tech or anything but I agree with others in this post in that you most likely didn't harm anything. From your description of how you drove it and how far after changing the injectors it doesn't sound like you worked the engine hard at all so the temps didn't get past normal. Diesel does have some lubricating properties and if you were not pulling hard or driving the truck hard the pressure on the bearings and rings didn't get that high so I doubt that there was any metal to metal contact to cause excessive wear!.

changing the oil once more and getting an oil analysis done will ease your mind, but I would say you are pretty safe and you should get many happy miles out of your cummins!

· Registered
224 Posts

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Hey Ive had the same trouble since feb 2009, three shops here couldn't tell me what i just learned on the forum. What kind of analysis are you talking about to check motor?
Yup, oil analysis as others noted, check this thread for details of a UOA accomplished by Blackstone labs...about $25 or so per, money well spent in my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.