Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week we went on a trip to Louisiana and we took our travel trailer. While hooking up I threw my keys in so my kids/dogs didn't hear the beep beep beep. After hooking up I had my wife behind the RV and I jumped in the truck and was like I need to flip my mirrors out. So I jumped out flipped them and went to get in and uh oh door is locked. My dog stepped on the lock button of the truck.

I was hoping my daughter could unlock the truck but realized the back door it's more near the front seat as she in a rear facing car seat. So I spent 15 min trying to get my dog to step on the unlock which was a fail. I tried the unlock from the app but it didn't work while truck was running and triple A said it be an hour before the could get to us. So I tried using some items to slide between door and frame to push the unlock and after 25 min I was so close but the item I was using just wasn't long enough. I went to go look for something longer and walked away and my dog stepped on the window switch and rolled down the window. also in the process I pinched the crap out of my finger tips and they still feel numb after a week.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive exterior Tints and shades Rim Composite material Auto part

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Asphalt Road surface

Tldr my dog locked me out of the truck with my kids inside while truck was running. Eventually dog stepped on window switch after I did damage to truck.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Damn dog! LOL

So you have pushbutton start?
Makes sense what happened as people feel more "secure" with their doors locked and this stupid function of auto locking the doors and allowing them to be locked with the vehicle running is a product of that paranoia. (Think about it, how does that help? Is it if someone lifts the door handle on the inside, the door will stay shut? Nope, because many vehicles will override the locks if you pull the door handle more than once.)
They will not let you lock if the vehcile is off and the fob is inside though.

Contrary to the key/fob on the lesser model 4th gens. You can straight up lock the key/fob in the vehicle with the vehicle off. (Fine if you don't assume that the technology of many vehicles doesn't apply to the "dumb" fob. Also real easy to hit the door lock button on these trucks. Happens to us regularly and lock the keys in, in the driveway because we don't take the keys out of our vehicles at home)

Good news is kid is fine and you don't have a window to replace!

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
I think that breaking one of the smaller rear slide windows would end up cheaper with no damage other than the small window.
Much faster also. Been there.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I think that breaking one of the smaller rear slide windows would end up cheaper with no damage other than the small window.
You'd be wrong. Since the 3rd gen the rear window on these trucks come as an assembly. You cannot get just 1 of the pieces of glass. They cost north of $700 for the power version, at least the one the glass shop had on hand "just in case" for my '06 was that much quite a few years ago. I imagine the 4th gens and newer are more.

These are the new hottness (coupled with a reach rod of some type) for getting in locked cars. No scratching or damage at all. It's what the locksmith used when I locked myself out with my truck running...doh!

Air Bladders

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,242 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me shortly after getting my 18. Loading the boat onto the trailer, i gave my keys to the wife, she put them in her purse along with my phone. Got the boat pulled out, she started putting everything in the truck, including her purse, and our puppy at the time. Well the dog decided to lock the truck while looking at us, with the truck running, AC on and the AC seats on. Thankfully we were only about 30 minutes from the house, but both our phones were in the truck as well, so the app was of no use either. But we had friends with us, so we sent them back to the house to get the spares while we waiting, with the truck running. After about 10 minutes of trying to get the dog to roll down the window or unlock the truck, she decided it was time for a nap after a long day on the boat. So she laid down on the seat, with the nice AC coming up from the bottom and the vents keeping her comfy coming out of the dash and took a nap while we waited for my spare keys to show back up. I've actually been meaning to get a spare door key cut and hidden on the truck ever sense...just haven't gotten around to it honestly.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would of had to break driver door window or passenger front due to both of my kids 3 yrs and 15 months are in back facing rear window

·
Registered
2017 ram 2500 tradesman 4x4 g56 ext cab
109 Posts
Oh man! We were way out in the bush with the travel trailer when my son was about 6 and he locked the keys in the truck. Luckily I had a hard plastic type wedge for wood splitting I was able to wrap the end in a microfiber cloth to get into the top of the door and the long metal marshmallow cooler handle / wire thing got in and down to hit the unlock button. My heart did stop for it felt like a full 3 minutes though

·
Registered
If I unplug two injectors, will it be a Cummins?
9,469 Posts
I never ever leave the kids in the car or the vehicle running with keys in it without putting a window down about 4” or so. It’s habit now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In your fob is a key that opens the door. That's all it does but it will get you in in those situations. But, I know, your fob was in the truck. That's why I have a key made from that key and put that one on my key ring that's always in my pocket. I learned that many years ago with our work trucks. We had three, (never knew which one I'd get each day), so after getting locked out several times I had a key made for each which I kept on an extra key ring on my belt. Never got locked out again despite locking the keys (or fob depending on the year) inside several times a year. I always have an extra door key in my pocket for every vehicle I own.

Reactions: tryNto

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,242 Posts
I never ever leave the kids in the car or the vehicle running with keys in it without putting a window down about 4” or so. It’s habit now.
At least yours are old enough if they don't unlock the door, its cuz they are playing with you not because they can't

·
Registered
If I unplug two injectors, will it be a Cummins?
9,469 Posts
At least yours are old enough if they don't unlock the door, its cuz they are playing with you not because they can't
Correct, but I still am in the habit from when they were mini people

Reactions: Loki223

·
White Lightning
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
15,798 Posts
Better yet.....I always carry both fobs with me.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
You'd be wrong. Since the 3rd gen the rear window on these trucks come as an assembly. You cannot get just 1 of the pieces of glass. They cost north of $700 for the power version, at least the one the glass shop had on hand "just in case" for my '06 was that much quite a few years ago. I imagine the 4th gens and newer are more.
Air Bladders
$525 for my replacement at the dealer.
The repair alone on the visual for new paints etc would be at least $700 in the handful of body shops around here.
There is a lot of cosmetic damage in those pics.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
$525 for my replacement at the dealer.
The repair alone on the visual for new paints etc would be at least $700 in the handful of body shops around here.
There is a lot of cosmetic damage in those pics.
It's a breaking back glass vs breaking side glass comparison, not a breaking any glass vs fixing paint damage comparison.

It is far less expensive to replace a side window or even the windshield than the back glass given it's a power sliding unit.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
It's a breaking back glass vs breaking side glass comparison, not a breaking any glass vs fixing paint damage comparison.

It is far less expensive to replace a side window or even the windshield than the back glass given it's a power sliding unit.
I give up,
My point is, it’s still cheaper and more travel friendly if the rear was damaged. I don’t know how many miles the OP is from town to travel back. I guess he had cell reception so I don’t know in your populated areas.
A 100-500 mile trip back, I would prefer the rear window. Easier to tape up or not at all driving in whatever elements a person may come across. Especially with a child in the truck.
Side windows and rain etc… Wind for that matter. Hey any windows instead of marring up a paint job. Color match won’t be the same. Pretty sure the whole door and above cab, however they could blend it to get it back to original will cost more. Truck will be in a shop for a few days for paint.
2hrs at the dealership or glass place.
Sorry posting.

·
Registered
2004 2500 555/5600 RWD QC/LB
617 Posts
Spare key underneath. (Doesn’t need chip)

I’ve done it. And I’ve had big trucks lock me out when they weren’t supposed to. Calling Pop-A-Lock gets expensive.

PDL probably better off inoperable (fuse, etc). Safety & theft.

“Tragedy” takes but once.

At least Fido couldn’t knock it into gear while running as in the 1960s it was easy to do.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had something similar happen with my 2012. Sent the wife and kids on the way home at the end of a camping weekend. We camp on a small and relatively not busy lake, especially on a Sunday when everyone's gone for the week. Beautiful day and nobody around so I thought, screw it I'll run the truck and trailer over, leave the dogs in it so I don't have to deal with them in the pontoon. Took a 400m jog back to the pontoon on the shoreline and drove her back over and loaded it on the trailer to find the truck locked. Couldn't get my dogs to unlock it and had to call AAA. 45min later the problem was solved and to answer the questions.... yes, my truck was ON the boat ramp and running, trailer in the water, with the e-brake on. It ranked up there as one of the dumbest things I've ever done.

I follow a pretty strict regime since. I only have one key for my 2011, so I pull the part out to unlock my doors and attach it to my ATV or boat key fob. And no, I will never leave my F'n truck on a boat ramp along for longer than it takes me to land the boat on my own. It's pretty silly, the things we learn as we age!

Reactions: ‘04CTD

·
Mountain Man Customs
2,792 Posts
Fun fact for all you newer pickup owners. The radio antenna is easy to remove, and can fairly easily be slightly bent, slipped between door/cab, and reach unlock button. I did this on a mountain top getting firewood in September a couple years ago in my brand new 2018 3500. No scratches ensued.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Snow

Wheel Tire Vehicle Snow Car

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
For future reference, most of the sheriffs deputies in Louisiana carry what we call a “12 K kit”. A 12 K call is exactly your situation: keys locked in the car and driver stranded. Kid in the car, stuck in a car seat, that’s officially A Big Deal. Lot of rural areas where pop-a-lock refuses to respond, so sheriffs deputies are typically equipped to pop your door for you. Obviously they want to see ID and registration before they let you IN the vehicle afterward…

City police departments usually not so much because metro areas typically have pop-a-lock service, but deputies will usually help out in town as well if they’re around - especially if they know that area has delayed locksmith response times.

Just be prepared doing that stuff here in a populated area if you’ve got the kit in your toolbox, cuz vehicle burglary (breaking into parked cars) here is a major thing… we come upon someone trying to unlock a running vehicle it’s quite possible there will be someone with a badge stopping by for a chat. Also, potentially dangerous keeping it in your toolbox or bed - dirtbag checks your toolbox, and they just found a “key” to get into your locked vehicle if they’re inclined to spend the couple minutes it takes.

Reactions: ‘04CTD

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just locked myself out a couple weeks ago, I've done it twice now since I got the truck in 17,
It happened once when I was jumping out and grabbed the door handle and accidently hit the door lock, second time my passenger did the same thing.
First time I was 30 miles from home and had to get a ride from my partner then had my daughter drive me back, second time I was in the neighborhood and my wife saved me.
Now that I'm thinking about it, I need to get a copy made so I can stash it in a hide a key thing..... Or I could pay 175 for uconnect :rolleyes: But a lot of good that does when yer phone is in the truck :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts