Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys i need some input on this one, i today picked up a rebuild kit for the H1C on the 92' im mechanically inclined with no problem but i don't want to mess up anything because i had no money to replace the turbo, So with that said who may have did a rebuild with the kit and what issues if any did you have, good or bad or any tricks.
My friend did tell me to mark i think the houseing i believe but im going to call him back on that, if may have been the propeller housing im not sure..
Any and all input for this is and will be very helpful and appreciated..

Thanks

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I did an HX35 which isn't much different. The hardest part is getting the turbine housing separated from the center section. The rest is easy. The nut on the compressor wheel side is left hand thread, so just be aware of it.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Im trying to to rebuild mine right now also. I cant get the exhaust side off the middle section on mine. Got it to move a tiny bit, now the turbine is up against the housing:shock:, so be careful about that. I soaked it in PB Blaster, maybe it'll free up. Also they say to mark the impeller to the shaft so it wont be off balance when you put it together. Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, yeah the friend that gave me the kit had told me about the left handed nut on the impellar, and i knew there was something about marking something, so that was the part i had forgotten about..
so probably a sharpie will do to mark that, just need to figure out how to get this done since its the only vehicle i have to do anything with, but i also know i can't afford for that gasket to let loose either and puke oil, sounds like all 3 of us are doing some delicate work, i will keep you guys posted and if you all have anything come up or any tricks just repost it here, cause i may need the help... Good luck also on ur all's end.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
On holsets website theres info about it, i couldnt down it for some reason.:doh:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On holsets website theres info about it, i couldnt down it for some reason.:doh:
I looked up Holset but there are way to many of them, which site was it, exactly, i typed in holset but it took me to like a google page with several hundred K links...
Thanks, the only paper i have came with the kit and it just has all the parts numbered and a picture of the turbo disassembled....

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I looked up Holset but there are way to many of them, which site was it, exactly, i typed in holset but it took me to like a google page with several hundred K links...
Thanks, the only paper i have came with the kit and it just has all the parts numbered and a picture of the turbo disassembled....
The website I went to is myholsetturbo. In thier search engine I typed h1c and it give me a list. I'll havta look at it again.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Ok, i went to the website (myholsetturbo), clicked on "turbos", then clicked on "model info". That brought up a list if turbo's, I dont know whats beyond that cause my computer would'nt play the file for some reason:doh:. It might be some usefull information though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went and took my hx35 apart, rebuilt it and after I got it put back together a friend of mine told me I shouldn't run it until it's balanced. Should the turbo's be balanced after a simple rebuild before bolting back on?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I went and took my hx35 apart, rebuilt it and after I got it put back together a friend of mine told me I shouldn't run it until it's balanced. Should the turbo's be balanced after a simple rebuild before bolting back on?
Hey, was your exhaust housing hard to get apart from the center section? Mine is. How did you get yours apart?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey W350 i went to that site and i believe i found the download u were talking about, got it downloaded and printed out for future use, i will post it here for all to have access to, it was a PDF file and have to have Adobe to read it.
91islandcummins- as far as i know as long as you mark the housing and the propeller its self before you take it apart then when putting it back together you line up those marks and there should be no balance issue, this is just from what i been told and read.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok i marked them before i took them apart so ill throw er back in. Aswell I didn't really get much resistance taking the exhaust housing apart from the center section. I did spray it with penatrating lube a day before and then a few times after that because people had told me I might have troubles with it

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Hey W350 i went to that site and i believe i found the download u were talking about, got it downloaded and printed out for future use, i will post it here for all to have access to, it was a PDF file and have to have Adobe to read it.
91islandcummins- as far as i know as long as you mark the housing and the propeller its self before you take it apart then when putting it back together you line up those marks and there should be no balance issue, this is just from what i been told and read.
I thought I had Adobe, oh well. Glad you found it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was trying to post the service data info i dowloaded from the holset turbo site but the file is to large, it shows the torque specs in Inch lb's for each section also gives Radial and Axial clearance specs also.. I can email to you if need be just send me a Pm with ur email addy.
It is 8pg's

Reactions: W350_1992

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i got it downloaded to my computer and also printed it out for a hard copy, very detailed info for sure.
Thanks for the site info.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
yeah i got it downloaded to my computer and also printed it out for a hard copy, very detailed info for sure.
Thanks for the site info.[/QUOTE No problem. Im glad its usefull stuff. I'll try to send a PM.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
i was trying to post the service data info i dowloaded from the holset turbo site but the file is to large, it shows the torque specs in Inch lb's for each section also gives Radial and Axial clearance specs also.. I can email to you if need be just send me a Pm with ur email addy.
It is 8pg's
I sent a PM:thumbsup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hmm, I too am having some issues getting the hot side to budge. All I need to do is get it loose so I can clock the turbo, but it aint goin nowhere. Put some penatrant on it last night and again today, then put some heat to the hot side and still nudda. Does anyone have any tips to getting it loose? What about getting the hot side GOOD and hot? All I have right now is a propane torch and it just won't do it.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Hmm, I too am having some issues getting the hot side to budge. All I need to do is get it loose so I can clock the turbo, but it aint goin nowhere. Put some penatrant on it last night and again today, then put some heat to the hot side and still nudda. Does anyone have any tips to getting it loose? What about getting the hot side GOOD and hot? All I have right now is a propane torch and it just won't do it.
Yea, I soaked mine in penatrant for a week, then heated it. I dont highly recommend it but, I placed a wedge shaped piece of metal between the oil inlet and the bolt thats between it and the exhaust hausing and tapped on it with a hammer. I did the same on the oil out let side. I just went back and forth from side to side with it hot. Every time it moved a little I loosened up the 4 retainer bolts a little until it finally popped off. That was the only way I could do it. If you try this, be very careful that you dont damage the exhaust wheel, it will try to bind up against the housing if it gets crooked.

Reactions: SlowKrawl
1 - 20 of 21 Posts