Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I went for the Pillar cause its in plain view easy to adjust and you don't have to look up to see it or mess with it. I have seen many pictures with it mounted overhead and it looks great. Seen a couple comments about it not staying there though. Thats just me 2cents

·
Registered
669 Posts
I currently have the overhead mount but I'm adding an a pillar mount so my mini will be going there. The overhead on mine is having issues staying attached. Especially in these hot days of summer. I have done everything but use superglue to try and keep it up there.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have the pod mount and its great. I can look at my gauges and the road is still well within my periphery. I don't think the overhead would feel the same.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went for the Pillar cause its in plain view easy to adjust and you don't have to look up to see it or mess with it. I have seen many pictures with it mounted overhead and it looks great. Seen a couple comments about it not staying there though. Thats just me 2cents
I went for an overhead mount....for almost the exact same reason...its in plain view so I worried about window smashing and that every person on the highway can see it and (at least out here in the country) then they start acting like morons and want you to race them in their 4 door accord, 1994 12v, tempest fury, whatever...

I currently have the overhead mount but I'm adding an a pillar mount so my mini will be going there. The overhead on mine is having issues staying attached. Especially in these hot days of summer. I have done everything but use superglue to try and keep it up there.
Have you tried this? ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the overhead mount, went with this because of the little ricers thinking they have power when in all reality my lug nuts have more tourge then there ricer. Over head mounts a pain to get to stay up, if you have a bit of patience and some 3M super tape and you will be golden.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I went with the suction cup, I got gauges in my pods and didn't feel like dropping the coin on the over head. Eventually I will probably just make my own mount to keep it off the dash.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How string is that double face 3m?
It is used to hold body moulding on the outside of cars....so pretty stout stuff. Removal in the future would require bladed tools.

I used it to hold these the huge stainless trim on in my mustang since reproduction parts suck and the panels behind the trim where warped and wouldn't clip to the door like they are designed too, so I simply screw them onto the door and then mounted the stainless trim with tape (it was supposed to attached to the panel first and the panel clips to door but I put screws behind it)

http://www.dodgestang.com/emAlbum/albums/1967/_overlay/DSC09755.JPG
http://www.dodgestang.com/emAlbum/albums/1967/_overlay/DSC09781.JPG

Reactions: makatron

·
Registered
595 Posts
How hard is it to pull the headliner and run the wires up to the overhead display? It looks like a lot more work then I'd want to do myself. I'm not even sure how hard the A-pillar pod mount would be to install. I have no other gauges. I actually was thinking of making my own mount and placing the Mini Maxx down low, by the base of the shifter boot, on my '09. Kind in the pocket, right next to the shifter boot. I see a lot of guys mount brake controllers in that spot too, and it looks like it would be a good place to keep things clean and inconspicuous. Not the most practical place for getting a good read on the gauges, but it's not like I'd be watching the gauges much anyway. I'm mostly running the Mini Maxx on stock power levels, so I can be code free with the deletes.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I would use the same Velcro ones that are used for EZPass installations. They are amazingly sturdy and dont give up under extreme heat. When I do mod my truck with this unit, I will be going this route as I hate pillar pods.

·
Registered
71 Posts
dodgestang have you had any problems with it staying attached with the 3m?
I haven't used the 3m. I stuck it up with the supplied Velcro stuff and it hasn't moved. I can certainly see where it might not work well if you stuck it and then repositioned it for one reason or another. I know it won't move if you use the 3m stuff which is my fall back plan in case it does wiggle lose.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How hard is it to pull the headliner and run the wires up to the overhead display? It looks like a lot more work then I'd want to do myself.
Feel up there now....there is a small ridge already...you don't have to pull the headliner down. You pop the two bolts out from the a piller grad handle, run the wire up there and over and bolt it back together. I did it in the parking lot of the local ACE hardware (I did have the handle off already)

Reactions: Espeefan

·
ordo ab chao
1,122 Posts
I have the overhead and love it. Keeps the mini outta the direct sun of the side windows and kinda outta sight too. Used industrial velcro, much like the "EZ Pass" velcro for extra holding power to the windshield. Took me like 20 minutes to install.

·
Registered
697 Posts
in my opinion and im entitled to it, the overhead mount works the best for me , people say it is out of the thier line of vision so that must mean that they do not look in the mirror very often either, its very easy to read the gauges, easy to change settings and the mount matches the interior perfectly. and when the truck is off its harder for thieves to see it

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I would use the same Velcro ones that are used for EZPass installations. They are amazingly sturdy and dont give up under extreme heat. When I do mod my truck with this unit, I will be going this route as I hate pillar pods.
I was going to go this route if I got one.

in my opinion and im entitled to it, the overhead mount works the best for me , people say it is out of the thier line of vision so that must mean that they do not look in the mirror very often either, its very easy to read the gauges, easy to change settings and the mount matches the interior perfectly. and when the truck is off its harder for thieves to see it
I like mine in the lower left of the windshield. I find it easy to reach and read, this is where I mount my GPS in my work truck so I have a habit of looking there anyway. I usually don't check my center rear view, my work truck has doesn't have a window to see out of so I just never use it, I do check my other mirrors often tho. How far of a reach is it to change settings on the tuner? I am kind of short and just curious, also is it tilted toward you in the windshield mount?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have the overhead and love it. Keeps the mini outta the direct sun of the side windows and kinda outta sight too. Used industrial velcro, much like the "EZ Pass" velcro for extra holding power to the windshield. Took me like 20 minutes to install.
Where do you get industrial velco or EZ Pass stuff?? I'd like to try it.

I really like the overhead mount for reasons others have mentioned. And with the defuel settings, you dont have to keep monitoring it all the time.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.