Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the H&S xrt pro and 5" exhaust from turbo back with muffler on 07 1/2 dodge 6.7 cummins dually. Do I need the fuel plug or fuel rail shims??? Not really sure what they even do.... Any help would be very helpful... Thanks
My email : [email protected]

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
If your going to run only the lower power levels you'll be fine.

·
Southern Idaho VP
1,578 Posts
Put it on the highest tune and see if it releases. If it does, you need plug/shims. Thats how I did it. Turns out I needed it so I shimmed it

·
Registered
708 Posts
Id say no plug, Only thing to help save your injectors! New plug 250-300 or new injectors? I'm sure you know how much those run!

regards,
MAC

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
We have seen no ill effects of running a rail plug or shim kit on the 6.7 Cummins. The use of the plug is entirely up to you, but we run plugs on all of our trucks in house. We have seen some trucks produce a small leak through the factory plug orifice. This was not a huge drop in pressure, but enough to affect the performance of the truck. We have also seen some plugs fail at around 24,000 psi. This caused a huge loss in power and dropped rail pressure to around 16,000. A plug is cheap insurance to eliminate the possibility of having issue down the road. Most commonly you will get a P1011 and P0087 DTC lights if you need one, but that is not always the case.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Put it on the highest tune and see if it releases. If it does, you need plug/shims. Thats how I did it. Turns out I needed it so I shimmed it
What exactly do you mean by "see if it releases" ?

·
That Truck Guy
6,375 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "see if it releases" ?
When it releases it will dump about 3 gallons of diesel fuel out at 26000 psi so you will know it.:doh:

Just kidding.:S:

It will throw the codes listed above.:thumbsup:

Reactions: Boomer6104

·
Registered
616 Posts
It drops the rail psi because it's only rated for so much a safe zone so to say plug or shim it I plugged mine and I'm very satisfied

·
Registered
412 Posts
but if you only have a 5inch tbe, and run the tunes on stock or mild, is a plug neccessary?

·
Registered
731 Posts
No, not really needed on lower tunes. I have been running my XRT for over a year on 120 or 175 tunes and have had no issue. No fuel leaks even at WOT on the 175 tune. Rail pressure has only dropped to 23/24K at WOT on the 175 wild tunes, but I generally run the 120 tunes and prefer those. So does my tranny. LOL Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
731 Posts
No codes have popped up for me either.

·
Registered
138 Posts
We have seen no ill effects of running a rail plug or shim kit on the 6.7 Cummins. The use of the plug is entirely up to you, but we run plugs on all of our trucks in house. We have seen some trucks produce a small leak through the factory plug orifice. This was not a huge drop in pressure, but enough to affect the performance of the truck. We have also seen some plugs fail at around 24,000 psi. This caused a huge loss in power and dropped rail pressure to around 16,000. A plug is cheap insurance to eliminate the possibility of having issue down the road. Most commonly you will get a P1011 and P0087 DTC lights if you need one, but that is not always the case.
I can't run my edge on hot code unlock and mash it, because my shimmed release blows and major loss of power hope this helps, I am going with plug soon!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Would a setup like the airdog II correct this problem with rail pressure or would a plug still be needed?

·
Registered
91 Posts
One of the diesel shops I'm looking into doing my MiniMaxx,delete installs said they don't recommend the plug or shims because of rail pressure spikes that can blow the injector tips off?

Is the plug/shim setup just to increase rail pressure to support the higher tunes?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts
One of the diesel shops I'm looking into doing my MiniMaxx,delete installs said they don't recommend the plug or shims because of rail pressure spikes that can blow the injector tips off?

Is the plug/shim setup just to increase rail pressure to support the higher tunes?
Thanks
If you plan on running anything over 120hp tune you will need one are the other, are it will eventually pop and relieve pressure. Once it relieves pressure it will likely not seat back properly and be weak from that point on. I have bought probably 10 tuners from H&S and every truck that has tried to run anything over where i set it at i knew about it. The driver would come in and say somethings wrong with my truck.:rofNeedless to say the tuners dont stay in the trucks any more and i also have some new drivers.

FYI...The relieve valves will vary big time.I Ive had some pop on the 60hp tune and Ive even had one thats never popped and it runs on the 225 with a suncoast tranny and has never popped. But that is one out of 10 so your chances are slim.

·
CF Administration
8,844 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
p1011,p0087?? it is either the lift pump or fuel rail pressure relife valve need to hook a fuel pressure gauge in and see what lift pump pressure does when you step on the throttle if it goes to 0 then id say the lift pump another tell tell on fuel pressure relif valve is go drive it till you get the code and when you do see if the line coming off the fuel pressure relif valve is to hot to touch if so relif valve is poping and you need the rail plug but my bet is that the lift pump is the problem!!

·
CF Administration
8,844 Posts
i have 4 cab and chasis with the two rail codes any ideas
p1011,p0087?? it is either the lift pump or fuel rail pressure relife valve need to hook a fuel pressure gauge in and see what lift pump pressure does when you step on the throttle if it goes to 0 then id say the lift pump another tell tell on fuel pressure relif valve is go drive it till you get the code and when you do see if the line coming off the fuel pressure relif valve is to hot to touch if so relif valve is poping and you need the rail plug but my bet is that the lift pump is the problem!!
are you answering your own question :confused013:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts