Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some searching, didn't find a whole lot. And what the hey I am a little lazy at the searching thing so here goes. I bought one a while back before doing a whole lot of research (figured H&S ya can't go wrong). Now I see a lot of horns that seem to have a smoother flow path so anyone got one of these on the truck (H&S that is)? Trying to figure out if it is worth the trouble to sell this one and by one of the fancier more expensive ones, or just stick with what I got.:confused013:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
the new 4" horn and tube is sopposed to be the shiz you are about the only person ive heard say you actually have one...

·
Registered
922 Posts
That intake is based off the C&C trucks intake. It does flow more air than the stock C&C intake which flows more than the regular truck intake. So regardless you're getting more air flow.

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,142 Posts
I have the H&S Maxx flow intake and H&S 4" boost tube. I'm getting them powder coated red as we speak. I test fitted it on the truck before I sent it for powder coating and it looked sexy on there! It's girth is huge! I can't wait to get it back and installed! The H&S intake flows more then the restrictions of the stock intercooler and grid heater. :thumbsup:

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
I have the H&S Maxx flow intake and H&S 4" boost tube. I'm getting them powder coated red as we speak. I test fitted it on the truck before I sent it for powder coating and it looked sexy on there! It's girth is huge! I can't wait to get it back and installed! The H&S intake flows more then the restrictions of the stock intercooler and grid heater. :thumbsup:
Did you actually run the truck when you installed it or did you ship it pretty much right back out for that red?

·
Banned
3,744 Posts
And how can you say flows more than the restrictions? A bottle neck is a bottle neck no matter how you look at it. So unless your removing the grid heater that restriction is still there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And how can you say flows more than the restrictions? A bottle neck is a bottle neck no matter how you look at it. So unless your removing the grid heater that restriction is still there.
I hear ya. GDP Heater Delete going in at the same time the new horn is. Biggest thing I was looking at is the WCC "looks" from an engineering standpoint and scratch and sniff perspective to have a better/smoother flow transition. Also it's worth noting that even though the H&S piece looks a lot like stock on the outside (the transition point in to the manifold) it doesn't really hit a "wall". Looking inside the piece tells a different tale. There is a nice angular transition area from flowing through the elbow to down in to the manifold. Just really can't see it until you look up in the mouth of the piece.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also worth noting is the H&S piece makes the transition to the manifold in a few steps where as the WCC and other horns appear to make almost a 180 degree turn from coming up from the boost tube and then back down to the manifold. The H&S piece comes up flattens, makes a angular transition and flattens, and then makes the last angular transition into the mouth and then you're at the manifold. Of course I am not a Flow Engineer (I am a Controls Engineer) but it just looks on the surface to make the transitions in steps than in one sweeping 180 degree direction change.

Regardless I'm sure they all flow more air. Unfortunately I agree with most others that the WCC horn IS pretty dam sweet looking. Very nice piece.

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
Seems as though the H&S piece doesnt have that center bolt in the front. I know some say its not needed but IMO id like to have all 6 bolt holes. Theres a reson cummins used 6 holes

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems as though the H&S piece doesnt have that center bolt in the front. I know some say its not needed but IMO id like to have all 6 bolt holes. Theres a reson cummins used 6 holes
Well there seems to be a lot of stuff on our trucks people feel aren't necessary......just sayin.....:hehe:

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
I agree and have no way to provethat hole will let the gasket fail if its not bolted down there. Just giving my .02. m probably gonna go with shibbys cause hes a good guy and uses the all mounting area

·
4,677 Posts
And what the hey I am a little lazy at the searching thing so here goes. I bought one a while back before doing a whole lot of research
Change the above habits the next time you purchase something and you wont experience this buyers remorse that youre going through now ? Maybe:confused013:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Change the above habits the next time you purchase something and you wont experience this buyers remorse that youre going through now ? Maybe:confused013:
Me thinks you aren't paying attention......I bought it before there was a lot of research out there to find. From the sounds of it not many have one in their hands, and I am not usually one to be the absolute last one to get one. Using that logic I shouldn't purchase one until there is loads of data and opinion. Where do you think that data and opinion come from. :confused013: Heck I might not even have my 6.7L now if I use that thought process becuase Lord knows Dodge and Cummins don't have everything figured out yet, otherwise we probably wouldn't spend our retirement accounts on modifying it days after we buy it. :hehe:

Anyway, No remorse here buying something from H&S to improve the performance of my truck. Those folks seem to be pretty up on things. From everything I have read, just about all the aftermarket horns available today will accomplish the same thing, at least until you start getting to the "fire-breathing dragon phases" which is not where I am going with this. My truck is for working and hauling, not playing at the track, will probably never see a dyno cause I just don't care how many "ponies" I got, and I am not that impressed with black smoke (always thought that was a good indicator of inefficient fuel usage not power anyway), but if my truck pulls my 17K# trailer up the grade without being embarrased by Chevys and Fords :stirpot:, I don't feel raped by how often I have to fuel :spank:, and it sounds decent I will probably be happy. I am just like every man, some of those horns are pretty nice bling and shiny things catch my eye and make me ask questions. I really do like shiny pretty things the more I think about it. :drool2:

Besides, my HP and coolness needs are more than satisfied by my 103" cammed up high compression built 2007 FLHX with custom paint. Vrooom frickin Vroom!:headbang:

·
4,677 Posts
I was paying attention, i understand where you were and are coming from. I was saying just what you did. I have found out that i will always wait to see what people think about a new item before i buy it. Thats why i waited a few years before i got a 6.7 , i wanted to let others be the test dummies for them. I hate getting new technology only to find out it isnt up to par or the newer model is cheaper or better. I was just givin ya chit because you said that you didnt really search much for it and was being lazy about it,,,,LOL My statement was true though wasnt it ? I bet you will do alot more research now , before you buy something !! haha

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was paying attention, i understand where you were and are coming from. I was saying just what you did. I have found out that i will always wait to see what people think about a new item before i buy it. Thats why i waited a few years before i got a 6.7 , i wanted to let others be the test dummies for them. I hate getting new technology only to find out it isnt up to par or the newer model is cheaper or better. I was just givin ya chit because you said that you didnt really search much for it and was being lazy about it,,,,LOL My statement was true though wasnt it ? I bet you will do alot more research now , before you buy something !! haha
Oh yeah. Got a good deal off of Ebay too so that had something to do with it. Man I try to use the search function as much as I can, but sometimes it is huge PIA. And it seems like it never finds exactly what you are looking for. I know some people get aggravated at the same questions, but when I am looking to pull the trigger on a purchase, I don't have 2 weeks to read posts that go back 4 years to try and gleen the one detail I am looking for. Luckily the folks here are pretty forgiving and frickin huge knowlegde base.

Only downside is sometimes it is information overload. :shock:

·
Banned
3,744 Posts
One thing that isn't being addressed is most the manufacturers whether its h&s or shibby....etc. most will tell you there will be hardly any difference at all between the intake horns. Now I personally went with the Wcc due to the fact I could customize to my needs and materials used to make the product are stainless steel and billet aluminum. Not sure what others are made from, but I had a bad past experience with one which led me to switch. Now regarding the 5/6 holes, rjp was using a Wcc 5 hole design and was pushing 90+ psi so go figure!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
personally If i ever change mine out it will probley be a wcc or bod they have a smooth transistion and they are not made from cast......

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
Not sure what others are made from, but I had a bad past experience with one which led me to switch.
This is the one change that was made in my intakes since I did the FA on your original. The early ones that went out did so without heat treatment. All current and future intakes hit the road with a full T6 heat treat :thumbsup: :party018:

Reactions: blackmega3500

·
Registered
145 Posts
Horns

I've got an early WCC horn and hoped it would seal well cause they use all the opening they can get. 15000 miles later still cooking and it was worth it in the boost department. Went from 32 to 38 max according to my guage. Bought it when the prices were high for new stuff but am still happy unless Jason wants to give me a refund?HAHA. Bumped the bling factor with some fancy gold pinstriping applied by my unsteady novice hand. Looks cool works good.

Reactions: 076.76cylinder
1 - 20 of 26 Posts