Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here is the deal i have been extremely frustrated with this whole HID kits this is my second kit and it cuts my truck off when its running!..the first kit i had was junk it was an ebay special and it cut my truck off as well so i thought well it was cheap hids so i went out to my local 4x4 shop and bought a pair of Hi/Low xenon hids all completely plug and play and it even came with the special harness to take off the "lamp out" light on the dash (its good quality). well all was going good i get everything installed crank up my truck, and as soon as i turn the headlight switch to on the truck just cuts off???...i am so frustrated and nobody knows or can help me..sometimes it will run with the headlights on but about 10 secs later it will die and cut off i dont understand it?..the truck will also not crank up with the lights on but if u turn it to the off position it will fire up. any help would be awesome, 2004 4x4 CTD QC, 9007 headlights.

·
Cummins Power Addict
1,040 Posts
Did a wire get cut (by accident) and causing a short when you turn them on... hitting the fender or something?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no the stock headlights work absolutely fine, its something to do with HID kits. i really dont know i guess my truck is out of all my friends that have them my truck has to be the one, and to top it all off im the only one with a dodge so there has def been plenty of jokes about tht since it wont work.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I just bought mine and put my own in, one of the other trucks I was looking at though had them in aleady, the guy told me that the truck had to warm up before turning on the hids, not sure when it is happening for you but if its at startup try letting it run for a couple of min.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Im having this same exact problem!?!? Anybody have a solution for this? I already have inline relays that worked fine on my 04 1500 which these came off but now on the 3500 they dont work. The passenger side HID works fine but the left wont come on, and Im having the same truck shut off symptoms as above....

·
Registered
384 Posts
i had an 02 powerstroke had 3 hid kits thought they were the problem.. anytime i turned them on it stalled my truck.. i tried relays.. and hooking them up many ways.. never did figure it out.. i could turn them on then start the truck.. but never figured out why it would shut off the truck once i was moving.. NO IDEA took it to many places they coudlnt figure it out either

·
Registered
36 Posts
its the amp draw when you first start your truck the intake heater will cycle a few times till it sences the temp of the rail is good then try the lights... also what alt is it.. if its the clucth type swap it out. also find the charge wire and replace with atleast 2 or 3 sizes bigger thisshould fix your prob.....the heater draws a s load of amps i had this problem when i put in a amp i cant turn on my stereo for atleast a good 3 or 4 min after i start it..

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I agree with ruger81...too much amp draw when the intake heater is on. Look at your voltmeter when you start the truck. Mine goes down to about 12v until the intake heaters go off. Then once the heater kicks off then the voltmeter will jump up over 14. Ohms law proves that current and voltage are inversely proportional, meaning when volts drop; current increases and vise versa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts